Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

May 12, 2008

what a night

Our friends invited us for dinner a few nights ago. They have this gorgeous oceanfront home. I have been in a few oceanfront homes in our town over the years. To stand right there, on the edge of where the earth meets the sea, is stunning. The sound of the waves is so peaceful.

First we played bocce on a lawn in front of their home. The lawn area is public property. We walked out and immediately noticed these two guys walking on low tightropes. They were amazing, going about 40 feet, sleek as gazelles. We played our bocce game and at the end some of us asked to try the tightropes. The guys graciously allowed us and even coached us. One of them was a grandfather, he told us. We were inspired! They made it look so easy.

I was thinking 'I was a gymnast, this will be a cinch.' Yeah right. It was fun to try anyhow.
Here I am getting comfortable. It was way harder than I thought. The rope, once you get up on it, vibrates and you feel like it's going to throw you off. The trick is to allow your legs to go with this vibration. Also the guys kept telling me to only have one foot on the rope at a time. This is very different from balance beam.



Then we went inside and had a wonderful dinner and conversation with our friends. Thanks David and Karen, and Deb and Steve!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous pictures! Makes me miss Maui.

How great to hear from you and have a way to keep up with what you and your family are doing. You sound great, as usual. Wish we could go for a walk by the ocean together to catch up. This will have to do.

I'm in the middle of redefining what to do with my various blogs. I want something more personal, like what you're doing here.