Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

May 11, 2008

happy mother's day

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired. - Mother Teresa

There are days when I can tap into the depths of my love for my children and give and care for them from the time I arise until the time they are all asleep, and manage the rest of my job as an at home mother. There are also days when the household chores of my life simply exhaust me, leaving me little time with the children.

I notice that when my children are not feeling well, my compassion kicks in and nothing matters except for hugging them and helping them feel better. The house is a mess, but it doesn't matter. I have more energy for them when they need it. I have a mother like that. I can still recall how it was to be sick at home as a child. My mom had us lay on the couch and sleep or watch television. She would bring a TV tray with 7Up or Coke with the bubbles stirred out of it, and crackers or dry toast. She would rock us in the rocking chair. I can remember being twelve and her rocking me in that same rocking chair.
This has been happening lately around here. Our oldest child caught an illness and it got passed through the kids. Luckily they were each only sick a few days and Gary and I have remained healthy. Today Annabel started another round of sickness, and went to bed with a fever. Poor kid, she just got over being sick last week. Annabel hates to ruin Mother's day, she told me tonight. The kids have been working on a surpise for me, which I bet will involve them singing.

So we had big plans for Mother's day, which will unlikely happen now. The interesting thing is that I don't feel disapointed. I am just greatful to have my family. That's all the Mother's day I need.

It's a peaceful place to be.

No comments: