Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

November 7, 2012

today i went to a yoga class...

original watercolor painting 1991

....Because it was time.  I sensed it.  It had been months.  It took something -- courage, strength, resolve, reserve -- to get me there.  I don't know why it was hard to jump back in.  What I knew this morning was, it was just time.

This quote was on the yoga studio's website;
Nothing would be done at all if we waited until we could do it so well that no one could find fault with it. - Cardinal Newman

I worked with a teacher named Erika.  She talked about opening our hearts to being our authentic self, and as I write it here it sounds kind of cliche', but it was actually really beautiful.  She worked us with just the perfect amount of athletic poses, but also stretches that I needed.  I am very picky about teachers.  Years ago twenty-something Erika and I were in the same class together.  She was the yoga star, the super fit energetic young thing.  We had this incredible teacher named Marc.  After he moved away I tried many classes but I never found a teacher I liked half as much as him.  So I stopped trying.  Now Erika is a teacher with something genuine to offer me, and others.

I liked her class.  It felt great to do an actual class, versus practicing yoga at home which I have been doing.  I naturally worked longer and harder than I do when I am on my own.  And I didn't make a complete fool of myself!

I will go back.  Thanks Erika.  

4 comments:

likeschocolate said...

How wonderful! I always feel much better when I go to the gym and make time got myself. I live Zumba!!!! The music makes me feel so happy.

Elizabeth said...

I know this feeling and every time I stop going to yoga and then re-start, I could just kill myself! WHY do we stop? I am so glad that you've re-started and hope you'll have the opportunity to continue.

Alla said...

great job! I'm also picky when it comes to teachers, glad you found a good one again.

Francesca said...

I think we stop (in answer to Elizabeth) because we feel we don't have the time to do something for ourselves - bad decision. So glad you re-started, and I hope that Elizabeth (I like speaking for other people :)) and I will also start again soon!