Lately my life has seemed to be a completion of circles. I suppose this is typical of middle aged people with teens. We remember what it was like to be teens. We are getting older, and we feel it. And the kids are growing into their adulthood, in front of our eyes.
I had a visit this summer with a friend I met at age 11. She came with her three boys, one now a teen. I hadn't seen them in two years. The change that was most striking to me wasn't her little ones, and it wasn't my friend. It was her oldest son. When he came to the door, there stood before me a young man, a young man I so remember as a smiling little boy with his two teeth missing.
If you look closely, the boy is still there. Within the adult, the child within us is still there.
Thank God for friends to go through life with. And this is one friend I have had the blessing of knowing well for a long, long time. I won't say how long, lest you math wizzes figure out my age.
And thank God for these relationships for our kids. There is something so special about knowing someone your entire life.
BTW, our kids had a blast. In case you can't tell.


2 comments:
Wonderful! I wrote a post today about sons and age -- well, I posted a poem about it!
I can relate to every word you wrote here.
Post a Comment