Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

November 13, 2012

corner view~spirituality

Sky, age 9

To me, spiritual principles are the guiding light in worldly life.  I think that spirituality is about cultivating our hearts through love, compassion and selfless service.  It is said by wise masters that spirituality is about calming our minds by developing qualities such as patience, kindness, introspection, and selflessness, regardless of what we are faced with.  One of my favorite teachings...It is easy to be peaceful and happy when things go your way.  It's entirely different to do this when faced with adversity, be it large or small. 

No easy task if you are committed to this as a daily practice.

In an attempt to try this, for the last ten months I have put aside about an hour a day for quiet prayer and meditation.  I have only missed a few days.  When I miss more than two days in a row I really feel it.  At first I loved it.  Then I hated it and became very resistant.  But I kept at it.  Now I love this time.  I need it.  I have noticed a change within myself.  Generally, I am more peaceful.  I am calmer.  I can focus better in the day.  I can tune into my intuition more easily.  Most days I have more of a sense of humor.   I am more honest with myself about my faults.  And I feel more in the flow of life. 

I am grateful to have this time.  I have had to change my busy life to fit this in, and make it a priority.  But I think it is invaluable.  

9 comments:

Beth said...

I agree. I have found that an extra hour of sleep is not nearly as helpful to my mind, body, and soul as an hour of devotions and prayer.

shayndel said...

Beautiful photo of Sky and reflections on meditation!

likeschocolate said...

Definitely not an easy task with so many distractions each day.

nadine paduart said...

sounds like just the thing.
and no. not easy. not in any sense. and truely rewarding.
n♥

Francesca said...

thanks for your honesty, Theresa. I remember when I was able to take an hour for meditation, and how I came at one point came to resent/resist it. It's weird how we have to train ourselves hard in order to be able to connect to our core and inner selves.

Heather said...

I've just started meditating at a Buddhist center. I tried it on my own, but found myself thinking, "okay, 10 more minutes of this and then I need to put the laundry in the dryer. Did those discovery responses get serve today? I need to remember to check that while I am here. Oooh - do I have enough cat food? I need to remember to check...

Kari said...

that takes discipline and I'm impressed. I've always started but never pushed through when I get those feelings of resistance and hating it.
i have heard of such great rewards though and I'm happy to hear that you've broken through.
beautiful!

Menthe Blanche said...

It's good to take time to meditate and reflect everyday. I guess it's not always easy to find the time but you're right.

Redeker said...

gracefull photo...
i think the whole world would look different if they pray and meditate, how good that this is a daily thin you do!