Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

March 30, 2015

for my children~strength


Strength is so interesting.
We often doubt we have it, but then when we are faced with difficulty, especially in situations we have never been in before, we find we have more strength than we realized.

Physical strength is one thing.  When we are young, and vibrant, we think of physical strength and ability as true strength.  Yes, there is something amazing about seeing our bodies grow and develop new abilities, and mastering new physical skills. Remember the feeling of breaking boards in Taekwondo?  Remember when you first realized you could swim?  I still remember the way it felt to master a new gymnastics skill, especially a scary one that required bravery.  I almost felt like I was magic.

Although physical strength is important, and helps us develop confidence and helps our bodies grow, I believe that mental strength is extremely important in life.  It is said that success in sports is 90% mental.

How do we develop mental strength???

This takes life experience, humility, time, patience, and hard work.  We have to calm the mind to get to the place of inner strength.  Because it's not something outside of us.  True strength is inside of us.

Strength comes from wisdom.  We waste so much energy concerning ourselves with useless thoughts, useless things, useless experiences.  True wisdom is knowing what to concern ourselves with, and knowing what to let go of.  This is day-to-day, sometimes moment-to-moment consciousness.  Think about that.

You are all very strong.  Believe me, I've seen each of your strengths.  Just believe in yourselves and you will be amazed at how you soar in your lives.

2 comments:

Tera said...

Seeking strength of any sort has been something for me. Like any build up it takes exercise and I remind myself... Exercise. Will refer back to your wonderful post again and again.

Francesca said...

i do hope you keep writing these posts "for your children (and francesca)" when you start your new blog.