Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

March 30, 2010

corner view~spring

Spring is upon us.  Even here there are subtle seasons.  How rapidly the plants I put in the ground in October are starting to bloom and produce fruits!  It's hot here now, 80 degrees F every day -- time to rejoin the air conditioned gym so I can exercise comfortably.   :)  

Yesterday I was shopping for some veggie starts and I came across this sweet Meyer lemon tree.  I walked by it a couple of times, the only one of its kind in the nursery.  I hemmed and hawed, like I always do when making a decision about what to purchase -- should I buy this?  I picked out several veggies.  But I kept looking back at the tree.  It was so adorable.  I almost felt it call out to me, "Pick me, take me home!"

I realized this tree would be the perfect thing for an empty spot in my tulsi garden.  We just removed an overgrown Eureka palm in the corner of this garden, we just repaired a broken water pipe under the ground, and the space has been sitting empty for a couple of months.

I had considered putting in a mulberry bush instead, but hadn't seen one -- no, a lemon tree would be perfect I decided.  

So I put it on my shopping cart.  Several people commented on it as I did the rest of my shopping, like they would about a really cute baby.  I bought the tree.  I put it in my passenger seat, and leaned it back, it looked like it was taking a rest.  It had loads of blossoms on it.  The smell was so captivating, it put me in a wonderful mood on the drive home.  I really felt like I had a loved one with me.

When I got home, I put her in my back yard (by now it felt like a her).  I introduced her to the rest of the plants.  I gave the delicate flowers a kiss.  Annabel came outside to see who I was talking to -- she couldn't believe I was talking to a small tree.  I told her I wanted the tree to feel welcome.  I can feel my plants respond to love. 

I moved my tree to a spot to shoot some photos and after a minute a honeybee came to get nectar from her blossoms.  I snapped a few photos, marveling at the patience and persistence of this tiny hardworking creature, and thought about relationships and interdependence in nature.  The bee stayed for what felt like several minutes, and I thought, "This tree is going to make so many bees happy."  I was so glad I bought her.

I have to think of a name for her.  Something sweet.  This is the sweetest tree you have ever seen.  Can you tell I am in love?  

Hmm, maybe Lily...or Rosie...or Lucy...  Any ideas?  

Anyhow, she is gonna love all the tulsi.  

 

Happy spring everyone.  To see what spring is like at other corners on the globe, go to Jane's blog
I am excited to see what you all have to say about spring. 

29 comments:

jane said...

it´s funny the power plants (and nature) have over us. i think she looks like a penelope ;) happy days!

SARO Arabic said...

Beautiful pictures. Got me in the mood:)

likeschocolate said...

I love the smell of the blossoms from citrus trees. I wish it was that warm here. Have a great weekend.

likeschocolate said...

oops, if this is a repeat sorry. I should have waited a second longer to see if it took. Wishing for warmer temps here. Citrus trees are a gift from heaven. I think I can smell that bloosom from here.

Juana said...

Hmmm... an italian name like: Caterina?

Joyce said...

She is beautiful! As I started to read I had my fingers cross that you would bring home this sweet lemondrop! She is already providing- I can't wait to see the lemons she produces. xo

Elizabeth said...

I love Meyer lemon trees. I have a little one like yours in a pot and it produces so much gorgeous fruit. Right now it, too, is ablaze with blossoms. Meyer lemons originated in the backyards of southern Californians (or so I heard) and are quite the rage.

Ma life à moi said...

Happy Spring Theresa!

Conny said...

Citrus trees are difficult to ignore at the nursery. Glad "Penelope" called your name. (Jane had a good suggestion there.)

Lovely Spring photos!

Valerie said...

No doubt plants respond to the love & care we give them !
I bought my husband a little tangerine tree on father's day last year, but it's hard here because the weather has not been warm enough these past years...
Even Spring is a little late this year and we still have scarves & boots on :(
happy Spring to you & your family !

Janis said...

I completely understand that love and it makes me smile that you have it too :^) I talk to my plants and encourage their growth - that feeling of a new tree does bring out the mothering in a person! Congratulations and Happy happy spring Liz... xo

Angie Muresan said...

She is a beauty! I'm bad with names, although I do like Lily. Happy spring to you!

Francesca said...

I'm also always happy when I have plants in my passenger seat:)!

Anonymous said...

I love your lemon tree! Will it produce you some lemons?

BTW, I commented you a while ago about the "new job" here: http://www.demarablog.com/2010/03/23/cornerview-architecture-canada/

Happy Spring and Easter to you!

soisses-dasleben said...

lemon trees are just beautiful!!! like the smell and the look! wish you a nice time with it...

Cacahuete_sr said...

how lovely! glad to see that it is hot and sunny there :)

Juniper said...

A very good purchase indeed!! I had much the same feeling when we bought the little kumquat tree (and similar experience as I walked back along the busy road, three kids and a stroller with a little tree propped up in its seat. People smiled just like they would if it was a child we were gently escorting home! It seems the tree is already very at home in your yard, welcomed by the bees, a very nice new addition and ohh the smell of those blossoms. Not to mention meyer lemons!!! Happy Spring to you and your family!
mmm a name ...I agree with Jane, Penolope is very nice or Sasha maybe.

Nicola said...

I love your story! And I love photos of bees.
Maybe Betsy or Beatrice (Bea)? Something with "bee" or "be" in it?
Nicola

sunnymama said...

Lovely corner view and beautiful pictures. :)

Liz said...

Talullah! and she is beautiful... I can smell her flowers in my imagination... Happy Spring to you too!

Kari said...

oh you are in love - how beautiful.
I love that lemony smell.

p.s. we have a lot of fans in our house and we use them a lot more than the a/c.
Happy Spring.

KathyA said...

It's been absolutely beautiful here for the past several days -- well deserved after our being up to our schnutzes in snow for so long. I think the mile-high piles dumped into parking lots are finally gone.

That Meyer lemon is a sweet little tree! I'm sure with just a modicum of care, she (does look female!) will provide you a plethora of fruit! I'll have to take a photo of our and send it to you. I'll wait until it's cousin "Dwarf Key Lime" arrives.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I've enjoyed my visit to yours and will be stopping by again.

BTW -- cute is definitely good in a husb!

unschool said...

What a sweet story! I'll be curious to hear more about what you finally named her. (I have a Meyer lemon who's a 'he,' and whose growth is a bit stunted--and yet I love him all the same. :)

Amanda said...

I am so glad for you that you brought the sweet little Meyer home with you! We have one, and love it! The lemon and orange trees belong to my son, so they don't have names yet. Anna, our apple tree belongs to my daughter. I'm thrilled to have found your blog. It seems you are correct, we do love the same things!

Blessings
Amanda

Queenie Jeannie said...

Love it!! Will you get real lemons from it??

;) said...

MMMhhh ! Nice spring !

Grey Lemon said...

I love this tree too!!
If you return to France, I'd recommend to visit Menton / south french riviera, where there's an annual Lemon festival, and many lemon trees... I think you'd love it!
Happy Easter!

n said...

What a great post! The lemon tree is beautiful!
I talk to plants and kiss them every morning! I thought that I am the only person who talk to plant.
Happy Spring!

Kenza said...

hello! thanks for your visit and kind words. and the link you pasted. yes, global goodness so much needed don't you think? thanks again.