Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

March 9, 2010

corner view~miniature worlds

 
I loved miniatures as a kid.  My grandfather built my sister and me a dollhouse, complete with two floors and stairs, and real lights.  My grandmother crocheted tiny rugs and sewed pillows, bed linens, and curtains.  When I was about twelve I began to make mini food -- cherry pie, spaghetti on a button plate, a box of assorted doughnuts.  My mother and I brought a bunch of my best items into a store that sold only miniatures.  I was hoping to land a job.  The lady looked at them and told me they were really good, but not quite professional enough to sell.  I'm glad now, because I still have many of them.

Now the miniature world I get a glimpse into is different.  I have a tiny mirror that sits on my bookshelf next to a ceramic medal, I gaze whimsically at my daughter's ceramic and bronze bunny rabbits, barely taking time to hold them in my hand, lest play with them.  I did just start a tiny bird collection, with the newest thrift find pictured above in our new tangerine tree.  Even the tree has tiny green tangerines on it, all different sizes, growing bit by bit until we will pick them, hopefully right before we leave for our summer trip in June.

And there are my dream collages, all neatly glued in a brand new sketch book.  I take this book out every once in awhile to remind myself of a new world I might someday inhabit.  For now, it is a miniature world, a happy idea.

How many things start as miniature before they take full form?  The seed gives lettuce, the acorn, the tree.  A little girl decorates her dollhouse.  Little does she know it is practice for one day when she will decorate a real house.  Most ideas begin small.  But an idea?  Well, that can lead to anything.

I have been having some exciting new ideas lately.  They started small, years ago.  I have begun to breathe life into them. We shall see what they will lead to.   

All is divine harmony.

In February I mentioned mosaics.  Click here to see a post about my first mosaics.  I am still digging up the photo of the thirty foot wall.  But hopefully this will suffice for now.

For more corner views about miniature worlds, with many other interpretations, go to the sidebar at Jane's blog.

26 comments:

la ninja said...

small is the way to start. you can only grow from there. you go. :)

Anonymous said...

those sound like wonderful grandparents! mine had a hand-painted playhouse in their back garden, filled with dress-up gowns...it was heaven for a little girl!

Joyce said...

I love the little bunny. xo

soisses-dasleben said...

like the rabbit!

Andrea said...

I hope your small (mini) ideas bloom Huge! This is a quite interesting topic. I loved this and everyone's interpretation of it...
:)
Andrea

Francesca said...

What a nice way to describe projects, breathing life into small ideas! Looking forward to seeing what they lead to.

Conny said...

Of all the photos, I love the ceramic bird in the tangerine tree the best. It really inspires my imagination. You've posted another lovely corner view today. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Cheers ~ Conny

Annabel said...

Sounds fun to decorate your doll house. And I've seen your mini foods, mom, and I think there good enough to sell!

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem said...

Those rabbits are lovely. Nice thoughts about starting with decorating a dolls house and one day decorating your own house. How we grow from small things to big things so quickly.

jane said...

so true... can´t wait to see your ideas take shape:)

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

I love miniatures too... small treasures travel well, and spark inspiration.

;) said...

I like your beautiful and poetic little world ! Nice CV !

Juana said...

Incredible how small things evoke sweet memories!
Have a nice day!

Ian said...

Yes, it makes sense that if you like making small things, you'd enjoy creating mosaics. Good luck with that.

Kristi said...

Such a lovely post.

isabelle said...

Love the mosaics!

merel said...

O dollhouse I love it so much..even now I can stand hours to look at it and to dream that I live there and walk around and live my mini live in a mini house with mine problems...lovely.

Erin said...

I love your collage book. I have something very similar. Also, thank you so much for your inspiring ideas, I just wrote a response to you on my blog. :)

Kenza said...

Amazing the house you described build by your grand-father and the little rugs by your grand-mother! Lovely lovely post!

kimmie said...

I love what you say about ideas from years ago - starting out small and breathing life into them :)

there's something so magical about tiny and perfect things :)

Anonymous said...

your inspiration book looks wonderful!

sarapirat said...

miniatures are so sweet. i like your associations. the little seeds, the beginnings, the new birth of something...
goodnight!

Palmer and Co said...

Darling shots! Love the little white rabbit!

Nicola said...

theresa... first, your dollhouse sounds amazing. miniature ideas growing? the best kind! i love the little bird.
and...THANK YOU for skylar's CD. i am so incredibly impressed. what a pulled together young lady you have. and my daughter LOVES the music. she is in a small music school, loves music, and is amazed that skylar wrote, sang, and is playing with the music. she's now asking when she will be able to write her own music. :)
nicola
Which Name?

Angie Muresan said...

Oh, I am so sorry I missed your post on Wednesday! I have such a love affair with doll houses. As children we made ours out of shoeboxes, painting little bits of wood from my dad's workshop for the furniture.
I finally got a real one when I got married. My daughter and I are having such fun with it.

RunninL8 said...

I would LOVE to see the miniatures that you made!