I don't drink coffee. I did in college a few times, but it made me feel strange. So I stopped. I do drink tea.
Eleven years ago when our middle daughter was an infant, my husband came home from grocery shopping and told me he had found us a babysitter. I was a bit skeptical, rarely having left the kids with anyone. But when I met Annie, I liked her so much that we decided to give her a shot. She had no experience with babies but I didn't care. "That can be taught," I thought. It was her heart that was most important.
Annie was a violinist and college student. The timing was perfect for her to take on a part time job with us because she had injured her shoulder playing her instrument and she was unable to work the cash register. It was so long ago that Annie first came to help at our home in California, and I was in a blur as a mom of a baby and a 2 1/2 year old. I don't remember much except for that Annie was a huge help when she came, the kids adored her and she quickly became part of the family. She was a quick study.
Eventually we moved to the tropics. But every year we would find a way to work Annie into our schedule. She babysat for us many summers back in California where we would visit. Then she began to travel with us. We were always so grateful to have the help.
When I was in my 20's I lived with a family while I attended graduate school in Washington, D.C. They had two young children and I helped them part time in exchange for my room and board. It was a great arrangement. I remember when I became a mother, 3000 miles from my family, with just a few friends, I thought to myself, "I need a Theresa."
I had found my Theresa in Annie.
A few years ago Annie had a few months of free time. Her lease was up in one place and she was getting ready to travel home to see her family, in her native, Iowa. So we arranged for her to come live with us for a few months. The only problem was that we didn't have room for her. No problem, we decided. We live in warm weather. So we pitched a large tent in the backyard, put a comfy full sized bed in there, gave her a shelf for her clothes, ran an extension cord for power, a small lamp, and Annie became our tent daughter.
Traveling with someone is different from having someone live with you for a few months. But we knew it would be fine. It was Annie. Yeah it was a tent. Yeah she had to deal with kids most of the time, even when she was "off," there was a noisy house. Yeah she had to sleep on the couch a few times when we had heavy rainstorms. Yeah she had to share a bathroom with the kids. But it was Annie.
Annie is my "coffee companion." But remember I drink tea. Well, Annie introduced me to chai. Believe it or not, I first had chai just a few years ago. It was the stuff in the box, concentrated, with sugar.
"You're gonna love this T," she said. "You're gonna get addicted to this T," she said. "You're gonna kill me," she said.
She fixed me a cup, complete with a little milk. Oh my. She was right. Then I got to blame her for getting me hooked. My little coffee companion.
Now Annie doesn't live with us anymore. :( I am good. I only drink chai as a treat. I couldn't handle sugar daily. But whenever Annie and I are together now we always go out for chai. In airports. In malls. To Starbucks. Or anywhere that serves it. And we sit and talk and laugh and never run out of things to say. After all, she's Annie.
Annie is married now. She married a man from Bali. While she was our tent daughter the first time (it went so well we did it a couple of years later), she was saving up to travel to Bali. I remember thinking, "Why is a young lady from Iowa so interested in going to Bali?" But she was really driven. And after going the first time she began to learn the language, and then she got a scholarship to study the language intensively. And she began to play Gamelan music, her shoulder injury was better.
So you see she was being led to the man that she married. Half way around the world.
Sometimes life is like that. And guess what? She got a full scholarship to a graduate school in the same state where we live.


22 comments:
Wow, a wonderful story. A cup of chai, to fate and destiny and togetherness.
The story itself and your telling of it becomes a companion to the cup of something warm that we drink as we read it...
nice story =)
and i also like tea a lot!!!
thanks for your lovely comment on pauls birthday!!! THANKS!
it's the second time this week you make my eyes fill with tears, first when i heared your little Annabel sing and with this beautiful story.
-x-
wish the world was full of warmhearted people like you!
So Annie and her husband are going to move near you? I can see the tent come out again, at least for a short while, and lots of chai:)!
Wonderful memories are a great companion for a good cup of tea. xo
what a great story. we should all be lucky enough to have an annie in our lives:)
What a lovely story. Great to hear about Annie and her travels with you through life, and that of her own, finding love and a whole new life in Bali. I love chai tea too. Also love it cold in the summer.
ohh that's a really beautiful story, Annie seems to be someone with a very gentle soul and your relationship with her something lasting forever!
i love chai too! (and was my brother who introduced me to it!)
This is a wonderful story of companionship, and I particularly liked how Annie so seamlessly moved from your life to her own! She looks like a beautiful woman.
Wow, that's a beautiful and amazing story! Am looking for an Annie myself, and maybe I've found her - Agnieszka, an International student. She's even working in the daycare where ore children are, and she has agreed to babysit. Can't wait to go on a date with Arctic Dad!
She sounds like a great chai companion. I loved this little glimpse into your life!
Wow! what a story Teresa! It's incredible how love for children gets people tied for life! I know from my own experience...
Have a wonderful day!
What a great 'ode'. Love your stories!
Thanks for sharing that GREAT story! I'm sure you and Annie will be friends forever! One day I'd love to come have Chai with you and Annie!
Take care!
Kim
What a lovely story. full of beautiful memories.
oh, you are soooooooo lucky to have annie in your lives. and she is lucky to have the 5 of you in hers.
nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com
what a beautiful story ... I loved it !!
That's a beautiful story... I'll drink my coffee this morning thinking to Annie !
Oh such a lovely story of love and friendship. Thanks for this!
Sweet story. Instead of "Annie Get Your Gun" it's "Annie Get Your Mug."
hehe (I crack myself up...sad, really.)
wow that's quite the story. Annie sounds like a wonderfully driven person. I strive to be driven, it doesn't come natural for me. THX for visiting and for your encouraging words :)
I love your pretty cup! Enjoyed the lovely story behind your corner view too. :)upse
Post a Comment