Gary is a songwriter -- here is his music website. Before I met him, I was a fan. You see, I met Gary through his music. I was working in a psychiatric hospital in Washington, DC, and one of my colleagues made me a tape of one of his albums, (back in the days before CDs). I loved it. So my friend made me more copies of more of his albums. By the time I visited California and met him, I knew all the words to many of his songs. Gary likes to say that he married a groupie.
I am offering a giveaway of one of Gary's albums, titled, "A Whisper Can Change the World." It is considered pop rock. He wrote, sang, played several instruments, and arranged all of the songs. He co-produced this album, which was finished in 2007. Click here to hear one of the songs.
| Here is a little blurb from Gary's music website: For a songwriter with such a distinct sound and style, Gary Marks has been able to succeed in many different musical genres throughout his 35 year career.
In the '70's Marks enjoyed success as both a folk and jazz artist. In the '80's and '90's he became known as one of the most unique and sophisticated rock songwriters in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Marks has released more than a dozen critically acclaimed recordings, as well as having published ten books on varying subjects.
Here are some quotes over the years about Gary by music reviewers:
|
Bay Area music reviewer, Derk Richardson, wrote this in Bay Area Music Magazine:
". . . Superb song craft. . . keen arrangements. If familiar reference points are Steve Winwood and Bruce Hornsby, Marks demonstrates as much care to the architecture of a song as those two certified platinum stars did on their most recent outings. Each song is intelligent, exceptional . . ." |
When the San Francisco Bay Guardian published it's 18th annual "Best of San Francisco" edition in 1996, Marks' songwriting career was highlighted:
"Marks is a meticulous craftsman, injecting his modern rock sound with interesting harmonic subtleties and powerful lyrics. . . [His] lyrics poetically address how we treat each other and our planet."
Larry Kelp of the Oakland Tribune wrote this about Gary's sixth recording, "Past the Nightwatch."
"Marks shows a knack for combining a catchy and memorable song with mature and often brilliant lyrics about love, relationships, and finding a place in the world. . .always a rare thing in the world of commercial music.” |
Leave a comment to be considered for the giveaway. I will announce the winner on April 8th. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend.
38 comments:
How lovely Gary's music is, and how kind of you to be willing to share it! Pretty neat story about how you met, too!
A whisper can change the world. How true. Especially now with Twitter:)
Hope you'll have a nice weekend.
I'd love to win another CD from your amazing musical family. His voice, like your daughter's is gorgeous --
Oh how fabulous-- I'd seen his site before but am now even more excited that I could win his CD. AND you met right here in my city-- very cute story :) Hope your weekend is lovely!
oh, yes please! sounds wonderful:)....
I really like his music! :)
And I think the story of how you met is very sweet. :)
Thanks for offering this giveaway. I enjoyed reading the story of how you met...some people are just destined to be together. Love the title of the cd.
thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, much appreciated.
wow, what a fab giveaway and to be drawn the day before my birthday, heres hoping .... xxx
Happy Easter x
I can't wait to hear more. =)
Thank you for nice comments on my blog, your blog is sooo beautiful & sensual!
Agneta, the swedish one ;)
Hi Theresa! I have to take my boy cat to the vet this a.m. so will come back to hear hubby's music. I married one of those too and he's still going strong with all that stuff even though my Mom is so pleased he found a "real" job in the intervening years.
So I have to ask, are you in Hawaii? And have you tried growing a pineapple yet? I got as far back in your blog as your mosaics (which I'd love to do too) and know you're from Rochester, but I haven't located you yet!
Have a great weekend. Easter is all about kids! Used to be my favorite holiday when I was one.
A bravo !!! for Gary ! and his music... Lucky you are ;)
What sweet and touching story. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Thank you for your message on my blog! have a nice week end !I'll come back here !
No wonder your children are so creative with you guys as parents!
Very Nice! Thanks for Stopping by!
I like the story of how you met. His music is terrific!
I would love to win this CD. It sounds wonderful! So much Talent!Thanks for visiting me!
Karena
Art by Karena
Thanks for the comment on my blog. Hope you have a lovely day!
What a great story...and a beautiful sound...Count me in like Flynn!
Sweet that you found him through his words and music! Hope you are enjoying the weekend!
Ohh my, how generous you are Theresa to offer such giveaway. Great story you shared here. And let me say you're blessed to have a family with music talented, super.
Yes, a whisper can change the world, WE CAN change the world. Music is the best parameter to make it possible. Please put my name in your spring basket:)
Wishing you and your Fam a Happy Easter and Joys of Spring.
what a great story....
so glad you came for a visit..thanks for the sweet comment
i'm happy to find your fun blog
michelle
Your story of love is a beautiful one. I am amazed at how talented your family is.
Oh! I'm so excited about this giveaway! Just from the bits and pieces you've mentioned about your husband in the past, I've been really curious about him. Now I'll have to check out his site and listen to some of his music!
Thank you for your comment on my blog. Having a husband who can sing you a lullaby is nice.
Op yes, great music!! Love to win this giveaway. Happy days greets Susan
i love jazz :)
What a wonderful story!! I'm a hopeless romantic, lol!
ohh that is a great love history! many thanks for the chance to win his amazing music!!
Oh, this is so cool. I would love to win a cd. How talented all of you are!!
wow! you married a rock star! very cool! hugs!
Theresa, what an incredible love story, and what an amazing career. I'd love to learn how you actually met him!
Nice.
It seems you are surrounded by beauty, love and music. Lucky you!
I'll go view and listen now...
Next you need to do a post featuring You!!
XO
Andrea
(hello to your lovely family)
oh, i love discovering new (to me) music! thanks for visiting my blog. your is lovely.
hope you enjoyed a lovely easter weekend! ;)
I love your "how we met" story! That's so cool. You are the b.e.s.t. 'groupie' EVER. Perhaps I knew, but since forgot, that you'd met here in the SF Bay Area.
Anyone would be lucky to win a CD; I hope it may be me. :>) Cheers ~
What a sweet giveaway...I would love to hear his music! Thanks so much for this great opportunity! I got your package, by the way...thank you so much, very kind of you!! Blessings~
well, i missed your giveaway. i have been away from blog world and is only slowly catching up. in this case too slow. next time ;)
i liked to read about how you met. sweet.
Post a Comment