Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

April 21, 2010

corner view~earth day

Earth Day began in 1970.  It started in the U.S. and is now observed in over 175 countries worldwide!  It is a day for people to reflect on our HOME -- to inspire awareness and appreciation for the earth's environment.
The care of our planet is something I feel very passionate about.  When I think about Earth Day I think about how the earth is a living, breathing organism, constantly giving to us - water, sunshine, shade, food, life.  I think about all of the damage humans have done to the earth in our selfishness, over years of misuse without giving back.  I am living at this critical point in history, and I want to do something to make a difference.  I believe that if we are going to take from the earth then we must give back.

The future of future generations' lives depends on all of us thinking this way.  If we all do our part, we can make a difference.  Consider wisdom of the Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy, which states that, “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”
 Our local Waldorf school organic garden

Every little bit we do does count.  And millions of people all doing little things does add up to many benefits for our planet.    

I see my 1/4 acre property as my little slice of earth to nurture and love.
Here's what we do:

~We recycle everything - glass, plastic, cans, aluminum, paper, cardboard, newspaper, batteries.
~We reuse as much as we can, and buy as little new stuff as possible.
~We try hard not to waste food or anything for that matter.
~We compost daily.  We just added two small worm bins to our composting.
~We grow some of our own food.  This year we expanded our edible garden.
~We plant trees (we have planted five this year - lemon, tangerine, and three papayas). 
~We plant tulasi (holy basil), which purifies the air, and is a great medicine.
~We use non toxic cleaners and a pest control company that uses no chemicals.
~We hang our laundry to dry, daily.
~We drive a hybrid car.
~We walk, bike, and carpool when possible.
~We give away items we don't need.
~We attract (with flowers) and save honeybees in our garden.  We love bees!
~We have installed solar panels on our home.
~We switched our pool from chlorine to salt.
~We conserve energy with compact fluorescent light bulbs.
~We turn off lights, computers, and television when not in use.  We unplug these every night to save more energy.
~We buy secondhand items - furniture, clothes, etc.
~We bring our own bags to use when shopping.
~We conserve water - by mulching, using low flow toilets and faucets, washing dishes and brushing teeth carefully.
~When buying new items we buy products that conserve energy.  

We also pray for the earth and for all beings every night before we eat, and we write poems, music, and blogs about caring for the earth, and share with others like you!

We also share what items we have with others.  I want my children to know in their bones how lucky they are to live the way they do - with a home, food, toys, fun things to do, a car to get them around.  We routinely give toys to needy children, we sponsor several children at this school in India, and we donate to environmental organizations as well as charities that help the less fortunate.  The kids share their personal money in this way.
Because to me Earth Day is also about love.

About loving the earth.  And making the world a better place.  Loving the inhabitants of the earth -- all of them.  Animals.  Plants.  Friends.  Family.  Even people who hate you.  Loving the souls of all beings and praying for people's hearts to become pure.  Praying for the souls of all beings.

And most importantly, I have to start with myself, by making my heart as pure as possible.

For more perspectives on Earth Day go to the sidebar here.

16 comments:

SARO Arabic said...

Every little bit counts, but you have done a lot. Passion in action. Thank you and thank you for a great post. It reminds me to do more. I need to do more.

Daan said...

great, i'm inspired by your post!
We just made our Waldorfschoolgarden ready :-)

Joyce said...

A very inspiring post! I don't have children but I so worry about the future of many children. Thanks for a wonderful post. xo

KathyA said...

Your accomplishments and passion are commendable.
What is the fruit in the second photo?

Angie Muresan said...

Your post on Earth Day is inspirational and a reminder to all of us. I am lucky to live in a place where it is easy to be green and aware of the nature around us, giving back to it daily.
We live on such a beautiful planet! Happy Earth Day to you!

Elizabeth said...

Fantastic post -- thank you for the education and for all that you do!

Conny said...

Another excellent post - so well written and caring. :>) I love all the examples you gave of things you do in your home - these things your children WILL know and keep with them all their lives -- Living by example.

What sort of things are growing in the Waldorf School garden? Just curious.

likeschocolate said...

I wish more schools would do gardens. It isn't as if they don't have the space, and what a wonderful teaching opportunity. Please tell Annebelle, I enjoyed her post. However, it is booting me off before it fully uploads. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem. The weird thing it is only her blog. It says something to the fac of Diagnose problem after it kicks you off??? Happy Earth Day!

Francesca said...

Very nice and detailed post Theresa!

Palmer and Co said...

Perfect! Very inspiring!

sarapirat said...

beautiful post. i so agree with what you wrote. and can make a similar list myself of all the things we do to improve the situation, and to cause less harm.

Cobalt Violet said...

Fantastic post and I agree... very inspiring!
I am in a condo and my next quest is to get everyone to agree on drought tolerant plants!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful post, and you certainly are doing your share! We have been researching geothermal...very cool...

Kari said...

lovely post. It does always come down to our intentional efforts. great job to you and your family!

natsumi said...

Great post! It's so inspiring! Thank you for sharing with us!!

RosaMaría said...

your post is very inspiring! you and your family have done a lot for earth!