Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

March 17, 2010

corner view~front door

In one of my most favorite books, A Pattern Language, the authors talk about how, in a home, when the front door is placed in an obvious spot, this makes a home inviting to newcomers.  Have you ever been to a house where you weren't quite sure where the front door was?  I have, and I do recall it being a tad disconcerting.
 
Well, my daughter, Little Miss Comedic Annabel, has told you all about our very exciting front door.  So I couldn't write about that now could I?

Thus, I decided to take a trip down memory lane, and show you some photos of front doors from our first family trip to Europe, last summer before I knew most of you!

Sophisticated front doors of Paris:
  Front doors of Sarlat -- ancient ones, castles and all...
My favorite front door -- the house we rented in Sarlat.  It was always open when we were home, no screens.  No need for screens there.  After our cute, tiny Paris apartment, this place was a mansion.

Also we went to Venezia...
It was such a magical trip for us, and especially a dream come true for my husband.  We found the French and Italian people warm and welcoming, like the front doors of their hearts were wide open.  

I didn't focus on photographing doors when I was there.  For some reason I was obsessed with European windows, and even did a post dedicated entirely to them.  

For more interpretations of front doors go to the sidebar at Jane's blog.

24 comments:

la ninja said...

look at that massive one. how do they open it???

these are great and, yup, I had already read miss comedic's comment, ha ha ;)

McGillicutty said...

WOW.. this was unexpected and lovely!!! well done and how lucky you were to have made that trip. :)

Daan said...

Those are great! and now i'll hop over to your daughter's!

Laura Jane said...

Thanks for dropping by to my blog.

I have had a look around your blog and see we like many of the same things. France, Italy, doors and windows. I drove my hubby crazy photographing random doors.

Its nice to know I'm not alone.....

(((Hugs)))

Bree said...

ooooooe!
very pretty pictures!!

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem said...

What fantastic doors. I too posted doors from our travels. Your travels sound great - very special memories.

kyndale said...

I love old doors in Europe...and even old doors in the US. However, I don't have a cool front door. Yucky tract home! :) Kyndale

Joyce said...

Magical indeed, beautiful doors!! xo

Elizabeth said...

Lovely post with wonderful photos. There's something so beautiful about foreign doors, foreign windows -- maybe it's the fact that they're universal?

Angie Muresan said...

Theresa, those photos are beautiful!
I agree with that statement from A Pattern Language. I must read that book, since you recommend it so highly.

Ma life à moi said...

Thank you for the trip! Sarlat is a very lovely place to visit.

Francesca said...

Thank you! (I feel included in your nice words about Italian people:)

latisha said...

wow. i love the portals of the world. such an important impression.

Jodi said...

That was fun.. the big doors - oh my. and the arched doors and the colors and the detail. LOVED the post. and thanks for visiting my blog and posting while i was away. it was nice to see. Jodi

likeschocolate said...

What lovely doors!

soisses-dasleben said...

really nice words =) i like the third pic.

;) said...

An amazing door ;) and a lot of beautiful pictures to follow you during your trip ! Nice CV !

Kenza said...

thanks for this trip through doors! Magnificent! (and thanks for your visit).

Kari said...

thanks for taking us along. beautiful photos.

Isabelle said...

you have an amazing collection of doors ... I would love to visit Sarlat one day

Grey Lemon said...

Oh my God, Sarlat!!! I know this place very very well! Really nice photos and great destinations!

shayndel said...

Gorgeous doors, and happy travels.
No wonder your daughters are so inquisitive and creative, you are giving them a magical experience and places to inspire their imaginations for a lifetime:))

n said...

I love old buildings!! The big tall front door is amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Hope you have a great weekend!

christel said...

Sarlat is such a magical little city !