Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

September 28, 2010

corner view~the incredible, the mysterious moustache

When I think of moustaches, I think of Charlie Chaplin, a comic actor well known for his work in silent film.   He lived from 1889 to 1977.

And my favorite song these days, sung by Michael Jackson,
to footage of Charlie Chaplin's antics...is...Smile

I decided to do a little research on Chaplin, and found this out.  In his first talking picture, The Great Dictator in 1940, he played the dictator.  The film ridiculed Nazism and portrayed Jewish persecution.  It was a courageous thing to do in the political environment of the time.

At the end of the show, Chaplin broke character to address the audience:

"I'm sorry, but I don't want to be an emperor. That's not my business. I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible – Jew, Gentile – black man – white. "We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other's happiness – not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In this world there's room for everyone and the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone."

A cool dude, in my book.
Thanks to CV hostess Cate for this unique idea.

For more corner views on this mysterious subject go to this updated list:

20 comments:

Joyce said...

There was so much more to Charlie Chaplain than a lot of know about. xo

Kari said...

a very cool dude indeed. He wasn't just a funny guy huh!!
my thoughts went to him too when I think about this theme.

likeschocolate said...

I think of Charlie Chaplain too. I should look on Netflix to see if you can get any of his stuff. My children have never seen any of his stuff. I wonder if they would find him funny like I did as a child.

Dana said...

Theresa --
Add me to that list, please :) I'm a corner viewer from the start!

Thanks a million for updating that list . . .

Dana

shayndel said...

Great pairs of eyes peering out from the photo and from the mustache:)
xo

tikjewit said...

Great picture; great guy!!!

;) said...

I love Chaplin ! A great choice.

Next week, the theme will be "orange". I'll chose the next after it.

have a nice day

nadine paduart said...

and thank you for that (to me) unknown little peace of truth by chaplin!

Anonymous said...

Oh Yes !! Chaplin's moustache was so perfect !!!

Daan said...

hihi o yes Charlie!!

I'll update my cvlist too, soon I hope.

-x-

Conny said...

I always learn something new here. Charlie surely had one bushy mustache. And the mustacheod fun goes on!

l i s e said...

WOW chaplin!

Redeker said...

Charlie had a great mustache and also lovely movies!

Mlle Paradis said...

great post! and i'm with you, a really cool dude. we should hear voices like his a little more often - like on our 24 hour "news" channels!

thanks t.! much good luck with the book!

cate said...

my friend who is an astrologist told me that charlie chaplin is my star twin. he is amazing, so one the one hand i love that he's my star twin, but what a sad life he had, so on the other hand???

at any rate, i love your view and adore CC's mustache.

anna said...

I gave my dad a biography of CC last christmas, which I found in a second hand shop. He isn't much of a booklover but he read the 400 or so pages in no time!

Grey Lemon said...

Yes, Charlie Chaplin! Also one of my favourite moustachioed of the 20th century!
PS: I think my link is missing too

Francesca said...

Chaplin is iconic in many ways.

Cobalt Violet said...

What a great post! I haven't see that film but I love that quote! My favorite Chaplain films so far are The Kid (which makes me bawl my head off) and Modern Times which I saw in an outdoor park, under the trees with a live orchestra. Magical.

Thanks for bringing back my memories and for the great post!

KathyA said...

Touching and wonderful!