Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

September 7, 2010

corner view~school

I pretty much liked school all the way through the educational process - from grammar school through graduate school.  Most of my teachers made positive impressions.  I just wrote a note last week to my sixth grade teacher.

On the other hand, my husband hated school.  Poor G.  He was bored, he was unchallenged, he was harassed.  My two girls have been to formal school and now home school.  They love home schooling.  But my son loves his public school!

What is the magic ingredient?  It's not the school, I believe.  Not the university, or the philosophy, and not really the subject matter, as much as it is the individual teacher.

When the teacher and the student get to a place of respect and joy where a true exchange of ideas is going on, then learning is taking place. When the student is inspired then that is real success. What I've learned from my children is that school is defined by the student's relationship to the teacher, nothing more, nothing less.

This is what we look for when we choose our girls' home school teachers, or when we enroll our kids in classes, and in our public school system -- we look for mentors -- truly gifted ones who know how to do more than just put information before them.  I believe this is the standard we all must set if we want to be inspired, and truly learn.

By the way, to any of my blog friends who are fans of Gary, my husband's music, there is a giveaway of his newest CD on facebook here.

And happy September to all of you.  I am back from a long trip, happy to be back into a routine, into blogging, into visiting you all!

To see more corner views hop over to the sidebar here.

18 comments:

Bree said...

i wrote on sky's blog that i am jalous...
to have school like that...
i would have loves that

my boy is going to public school
but only 40 children in the whole school, he likes it.
in holland it is illegal to homeschool
unless you have a very good reason.

you are goning to host the c.v!
nice!

jane said...

i wish i had had a classroom like that:)

Kaylovesvintage said...

I'm like your husband, I did hate school
love your photos

Kenza said...

Hello! nice to have you back! Lovely post. Thank you, and thank you for hosting Corner View later on.

Arctic Mum said...

The children in Norway starts at school when they're six. My oldest girl with start in a year! They start kindergarten already at one, and it's a little bit early...But then there's work.

Kari said...

this is so very true. when I think back to the teachers that I had, and the relationships that I had with them it truly made a difference to my approach to school.
I also enjoyed school all the way through.
It does all comes down to relationships.
looking forward to next week.

la ninja said...

multitasking again, are we? :)

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem said...

How right you are about the relationships with teachers. I have some wonderful memories of particular teachers and they were the ones where I enjoyed their lessons the most and got my best grades.

KathyA said...

You are so right about that! I've always thought that long after students forget what we've taught them, they'll remember how we've treated them!

Life As I Know It said...

I agree completely. It is SO important to have a good match with student and teacher. It can make or break the year, and educational experience as a whole.

Francesca said...

I agree. It's the teacher who can sparkle curiosity, and infuse knowledge and the joy of learning.

Skylar said...

I love home-schooling! Thanks Mom!

Redeker said...

sounds like a great school!!
if i went to school now, it would be totality different for me, now they watch more or you have dyslectic and all that!!

cate said...

your homeschool is the most wonderful place! so much creativity and play going on there.

we'll see with my kids... can see my son wanting to homeschool at some point. sure there will be a time when i turn to you, theresa, for advice. xoxo

RosaMaría said...

i'm agree with you and LOVE that classroom!!
happy september to you too and happy CV!

Conny said...

I love that your children have school choices - the girls love homeschooling, and that Shawn likes public school. He must have a good match for a teacher. :>)

We had a some 2nd grade jitters going on over here ~ and so goes the theme of my CV.

If I could have lessons taught outside, I'd be the happiest student there was.

Thanks for today's post AND thanks in advance for assisting CV in the coming weeks.

shayndel said...

Love the outdoor classroom and colors!
Looks like a great learning environment.

Unknown said...

I agree, relationship and personality vital. And your classroom looks like a dream!