Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

February 26, 2014

corner view~experiment

Tree and Dawn, 1990

I know sometimes I grumble about the way technology seems to distract and disconnect people, with kids sitting side by side on cell phones, ignoring each other. But today, I was so happy and excited to "face time" one of my oldest, most special friends.  The friend I met at age eleven, and am still very close to. The friend I went through middle school, high school, college, weddings, births of babies, and everything else that comes with this time in life. She lives 6000 miles from me, and yet there I was, at her boy's lacrosse practice, and there she was, being shown around my house, a house she has never been to.

This was the first time either of us had ever done this with our phones. We got disconnected a few times, but we figured it out.  It was a perfect surprise experiment that worked!!  We were so excited to connect like this. We laughed and laughed and felt like teenagers again, and goofed around, and then got caught up discussing our lives, talking about our kids who are teenagers now. We are girls of the 80's, living as mothers to kids of the millennium.

There is nothing in the world like a friend who loves you, knows you, and has grown up with you.

I am so grateful for you Dawnie.  You changed me.  When I met you and saw how you treated people and always had a smile on your face, and a kind for word for everyone, even old people, it made me want to be a better person.  It made me want to be more like you.    

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What an incredibly sweet photo -- you're both beautiful and radiant! I'm glad you were able to connect with your friend in that way -- I make no apologies for believing technology is fantastic!

Francesca said...

"Tree"? Is that how you're called? It does seem just the perfect name for you!

:) said...

This is a great experiment :) Lucky you are ;)

nadine paduart said...

terrific photo, testimony to all that you're saying to go with it. actually, it doesn't half look like a movie still!
well done for you both!!
n♥
ps - i like tree too

likeschocolate said...

Love this! Isn't it wonderful to have such life long friends and to be able to connect with them via modern technology. My best friend of 25 plus year lives in Colorado and I am so grateful for all the different mediums by which we stay connected.

lucylaine said...

beautiful and touching <3

shayndel said...

BEautiful story and the photo is precious!! Looks like from a movie, you two smile so radiant!
Its good to find the positive in the technology too, I am the same way about grumbling about the new technology so I see its important to appreciate it too!! thanks for that reminder as well:))

Karyn Taylor-Moore said...

That's a gorgeous story. I too moan about technology disconnecting us at times but as you so beautifully point out it also connects us and provides us with precious moments with people we otherwise might not be able to see at all - or hardly ever. And of course it connects all the lovely people who contribute to Corner View every week - which is a real gift too xox

Cobalt Violet said...

Hurray for old and dear friends!
Like everything, technology can be over used or mis used or ... for great things like keeping in touch! And blogging! :)