Me, I like planning, and weekly schedules. So it is sometimes a stretch for me. I guess I am a bit of a fuddy duddy. Funny, I always thought of myself as the fun, lively one.
Truth is we now have two teenagers (and an active nine-year-old) who want to be out in the world doing lots of stuff, plus they are all making new friends, learning new sports, and doing new activities, a lot more than ever before.
For years we had it easy. All three kids did the same one sport after school at the same time. And we home schooled the girls, so we only had one school to drive to daily. Can you believe we got away with this level of simplicity? Well, no more. We now have three kids in three different schools. Shawn and Annabel are doing Taekwondo. Sky is learning tennis and skateboarding. Annabel has a role in the school play. And we are taking the kids to our local outdoor roller skating rink on weekends.
In addition the kids crave spontaneous outings. So sometimes you just have to go to the beach, or to Jamba Juice or have a family day of games in the pool, just because.
Because actually, there is deep wisdom to spontaneity, because that's often where the magic is. So this mama is finding a balance between being planned and organized (which is necessary in family life) and also knowing when to let go a little and have some fun, just because.
And by the way. I didn't plan this blog post. I winged it. I didn't write it in my schedule book the week before. In fact late last night I had to go to Francesca's blog to see what this week's topic was, cuz I had forgotten it was my choice! So there ya go.
Happy week, my friends!


8 comments:
Great dive! It looks like you are surrounded by fun and the perfect models of spontaneity, enjoy!!!
♡
I am in the same boat as you, it seems as the children have gotten older and the have more activities it has left us with little time to be spontaneous.
When I read your post, I must say that I have to enjoy my life now ... before the hurricane :)
this is a wonderful post ! i love that you forgot about your own post and then had to be spontaneous !!!!!
It looks like paradise, so I can imagine an easy spontaneity!
So, this post is VERY spontaneous in the end! :)
For us this is a "easy" year as far as schedules are concerned: both boys go to the same high school, and tennis club - and when the weather allows it, they walk from school to tennis, which takes about 40 minutes, but, hey, it's good prep exercise for tennis practice! :)
To read this, I'm happy I have only one kid, but at the other side having kids like you, I guess you have to be spontaneous!!
Wow - sounds like a real challenge to have to be so spontaneous when you like to make plans. But it sounds like you are rising to that challenge fabulously. I love the look of where you are living now! Wish I was there too!!
Post a Comment