Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

October 22, 2012

summer revisited~chicago -- berries, buildings, thoughts on art, and a signature dubuffet


More images from our time this summer on the boat tour in Chicago.  So many of these buildings are works of art.  I have to admit, I love the old style best, although the mirrored windows are pretty cool.  

I wonder what impression all of our travel makes on the kids.  You never know.  I can't help but think it is expansive to their minds.  The more we see of the world, and varieties of cultures, architecture, lifestyles, people, foods, the more we learn.  To me, our travel is part of our kids' education.  Plus Chicago Aunt Eileen's grandmother was a great realist painter who lived in France and painted many scenes of the country.  They must have twenty of her paintings hanging all over the house.  I love having our kids exposed to original art, especially when it is so beautiful! 

I have always loved Dubuffet.  His work is so whimsical, yet solid.  It's like grounded fun.  I can't be tense and look at a whimsical artist's work.  To me there is a brilliance to Dubuffet's art, even though he wanted to make art that was perhaps more simplistic, less intellectual, like art brut (raw art).  

I think a busy downtown is the perfect place for Dubuffet's work.  I imagine people all stressed out rushing to work, and as they walk by the sculpture, they take a breath and smile.  

Where we live there is really no public art, few statues, no modern sculptures.  I do miss art museums.  That's partly why I paint now.  I need some wild abstract color in my life.     

No comments: