Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

October 9, 2012

ask sky about getting along with little brothers

The day Shawn was born Sky, age 6 1/2, asked me, in total earnestness, "Can you marry your brother?"  Later that day when we placed this tiny baby into her arms for the first time she said, "I'm your big sister Skylar, and I'm going to love you for the rest of your life."

Shawn was born before noon at home.  Sky didn't leave my side for the rest of the day, and chose to have her meals with us, drawing Shawn about 25 pictures.  She was thoroughly enthralled...

Thank God for this beginning.  As Shawn grew she continued to love him, but baby and toddler reality also struck.  Overall, our kids all get along really well.  I always tell them how lucky they are to have each other, and how it's important to draw on happy memories to help get through conflicts and squabbles.

Something is going right.  Shawn just got back from his first day of school after fall break, the girls are still off school.  I think he missed them.  He is doing his homework in Sky's room (a first) while she charges her brand new cell phone.  

In this episode of Ask Skylar, Sky talks about when little brothers annoy you, and friendships.

3 comments:

likeschocolate said...

I always tell my children that God gave them to each other and with that being said it is their duty to love one another. Doesn't always work, but even when they squabble deep down I know they love each other.

Francesca said...

ah, I should get my boys to watch it! :)

Elizabeth said...

My son and daughter were like this, only the age order is reversed. They hit some harder teenage years when they weren't exactly buddy-buddy but now that her brother is away at school (blink blink how fast does this happen!) my daughter misses him.