Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

December 14, 2010

corner view~traditions

As a girl I witnessed my grandfather making wreaths out of Pennsylvania ground pine that he picked by hand in the lush woods that surrounded his home.  Even a couple of days before Christmas we would go with him to help pick the pine, because inevitably he would have given all of the wreaths away that he had made, (usually 25 or more) and want to make just a few more.  We walked to the end of his street where the paved road became a dirt road, a few hundred yards until we came to a clearing on the left.  We would wade through the snow and brush it away before we picked the pine, stuffing it into large plastic bags.

Then we went back to the house where grandma would have hot chocolate for us, and we went to work.  Grandpa taught us all how to make the wreaths.  I remember him showing us how to make them really full, and tie the pine tight so it wouldn't fall off.  It was important to him that the wreaths were beautiful from both sides, in case people wanted to hang them in windows.  It seemed like he thought making a wreath with only one side was kind of cheating.

The kids' wreaths were always a little lopsided, but he would always tell us how great they were.  His were perfectly round.  He showed us the value of working with nature to make something beautiful.  I can still picture his agile hands working, and the smile on his face.  As the years passed someone convinced him to charge for the wreaths, as he was spending so much time filling so many orders.  He never charged over $5 a wreath, all his life he kept his price that low. 
 
Thanks to Cherry B for this idea.  Next week's theme is "the December holidays."

In the holiday spirit, we are doing a giveaway this week!  Please stop by my previous post and leave a comment there if you wish to partake in the giveaway of my husband's music.   

Have a beautiful week, my friends.

35 comments:

nadine paduart said...

you're a great story teller, theresa. i have enjoyed this little piece of festive tradition.

anna said...

What a lovely memory!

;) said...

It's more than a tradition, it's a legend, a beautiful tale.. with dreamy grandpa and grandma.

Kasia said...

What a beautiful memories! I like the way you write about things.

have a happy day,
Kasia

Lollipop said...

you too!
my cv is online
take care

McGillicutty said...

beautiful... love this theme!! xxx

l i s e said...

very nice story
have happy day

Daan said...

Love the wreath and it's story!

RosaMaría said...

this is really lovely, you can be sure you kids will be full of good memories!

likeschocolate said...

What a lovely thing to have taught you guys. Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

What a memory to have. Beautiful.

tikjewit said...

such a brilliant memory, still being there, alive.... i miss memory's... Hope you keep m groing for you All!

Janis said...

Very warm tradition... I could use a lesson in wreath making :^)

flowtops said...

Thanks for sharing. I bet you treasure all your memories of these wonderful grandparents!

tanïa said...

Wonderful personal story!

Tiphaine said...

It such a nice and sweet tradition !! Mine is more about mouth....

Joyce said...

what a wonderful tradition to carry on! I'm not sure the reason for the wreath to be round, but it is an endless circles of family and memories! xo

KathyA said...

Wonderful story, Theresa. I can smell the pine and feel the resin on my own hands.

Francesca said...

That sounds so Christmassy, the pine wreaths, the hot chocolate ... beautiful!

Skylar said...

Hot chocolate...sigh...with REAL SUGAR AND REAL MILK! I'm jealous. :)

flowtops said...

Hi Theresa,

Just googled the Skychairs you mentioned. Looks cool! I did see an ad for a wicker chair hanging from a chain connected to a metal pole once. Very big, very seventies. I wish I had bought it!

Isabelle said...

beautiful and touching story ... I would love to learn how to make it (please organize a tuto for us !!!).

;) said...

I think I could be the "king" of flowers ;)

have a sweet day

Dorte said...

what a wonderful memory. Thanks for sharing :)

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

What a beautiful memory.
Just reading this, brought the sweet, warm scent of pine in to my heart... thank you.

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

oops!
Lost my comment.
I was saying how lovely your memories are, and thanking you for evoking the sweet, warm fragrance of pine in my heart. Merry Christmas, to All of You!

Mlle Paradis said...

oh that is a LOVELY grandpa story!

The Thrifty Fox said...

What a lovely family tradition.

Tzivia said...

What a beautiful, cherished memory. I enjoyed being carried out of the bustle of my day into the precious moments you describe in your post.

hinke said...

great memory!

sarapirat said...

oh how beautiful, i just learned this word 'wreath', i made one last year, but it was probably your grandfathers idea of cheating. perhaps this year i will have more patience.

Jennifer said...

Such a lovely, inspiring post! A very merry Christmas to you.

jane said...

what a beautiful memory. do you miss the snow?
happy weekend!
xxx

Anonymous said...

i enjoyed this :)

Cobalt Violet said...

Love it! Beautiful story Theresa.
Happy Holidays to you!