Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

December 7, 2010

corner view~improvising

 photo by Skylar Marks
I have to admit, improvising is not my strength.  I'm a planner.  I'm methodical.  I can sometimes even be, gasp, uptight.

Last summer, however, we traveled from home for two months.  We left with a plan, but within a few days we changed the plan.

And it all started from a bit of magic...

Since then there has been something new in our life - a blessing, that darted in like a dragonfly over a quiet pond on a sunny day.

When I get blue or feel stuck, it's always good to remember that in my life,

the
best
things
that
have
happened
were
never
planned.

Thank you to Anna for this idea of improvising.  Please keep adding your thoughts for themes, ladies and gents.  Next week's theme comes from Cherry B, and it is, ta da, "traditions."

PS
check back this Thursday for a music giveaway!

30 comments:

Joyce said...

I too am a planner and lister (if there is such a word). I plan ahead for things and love to make a list to cross things off.

I'm glad your new thing has brought you joy. Love the photo! xo

likeschocolate said...

It is hard for me to improvise too. Yes, some good things just can't be planned.

Don said...

It looks to me you know the value of improvising too!

Elizabeth said...

Lovely -- I'm a bit of a planner but essentially go with the flow.

shayndel said...

I gave up on planning after I graduated college. I had planned to go into business, and it was so...well, it wasn't right for me. Since then I have followed something that is like your little dragonfly:)))

nadine paduart said...

well, yeah, i guess it's true that planning leaves little space for improvising, and the latter certainly is liberating. well done, you!
i love planning, by the way, and i also loooooove dwindling from those plans... from that perspective i so agree with you.

hinke said...

haha I allways try to be a planner, but I allways end improvising...
I think I captured the next CV in this week ;)

Kasia said...

I wish I was a bit more organized with things in my life. I'm not a very good planner and usually I change my ideas a lot...

I love writing down lists of things to do but none of them get crossed out. Eh...

Happy Corner View!

Dorte said...

I think I am kind of a semi planner. Like to have a plan of what to do, but with the freedom to change if I feel like it :)

And you are right, good things cannot be planned.

Tiphaine said...

and happy to (re) join you....and very happy to visit you every week...

tikjewit said...

-ahum- i cán make plans, sure i can, but i just cant stick to it... There's always something coming up in between...So that's why i love your qoute!

Daan said...

I'm a very bad planner ... and improvisingqueen, if i may say so myself ;-)

-x-

Redeker said...

I like to improvise, but that has to do with my art work!! But you have a nice little photo!!

Kari said...

when I look back I find that what you say is true - sometimes it's the spontaneous and unplanned moments that are the most fun and memorable!
But planning goes a long way too.

;) said...

You improvised a beautiful japanese painting. I'll never be able to plan things, so I admire people that can do lists and programs...


may be one day...

Isabelle said...

I like your words ...

flowtops said...

Some things (like grocery shopping) are best done with a solid plan in place. Other things (like living your life) you can do perfectly without planning. Good for you that you found out you could do it without a plan as well!

Francesca said...

The dragonfly is a very nice image, and a nice picture by Sky.

tanïa said...

I'm not the best in planning, I'm afraid...improvising is part of my personality and luckily I am a very flexible person. ;o)

anna said...

you're welcome :) Yes that is a good thing to remember..

Cole said...

Perhaps you could plan to improvise?! I intend to be a planner, I write the lists- and then the lists pile up, get tucked in a drawer, colored on, spilled on. Then I try to remember to start a grocery list with a note to buy more paper!

cate said...

i have had to learn how to plan and list. sigh. i love that you went with the flow... that IS where the magic happens.

Janis said...

Yep, I agree. Some of the best things are unplanned - but then, on the other hand, some of the best things are planned too ;^)

Mlle Paradis said...

amen! it's really true. i think it's really wonderful to be able to embrace the unexpected. otherwise, you'll never know what you might be missing!

p.s. no that's not a headboard but i do love that look. it's wallpaper. (a little tidier to live with.)

Valerie said...

I have become all the contrary over the years (with my husband's help) and even more on my blog !

thank you Theresa, more than you know, for the support you have provided to me & our family.

RosaMaría said...

lovely post with the best quote... sometimes is hard live without planning but is great make a pause!

KathyA said...

Yes, I'm a firm believer in serendipity, too.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a planner woman... really not ! It can be scared for my family but... funny too !!!

Tzivia said...

Thank you for the reminder that the unplanned moments net the most joy! Makes me want to tear up my to do list!

Anne Marie said...

Ohhh no... I have just posted a post about making new traditions...

... I'll need to be creative for Wednesday.