After a swim on a school holiday.
We went to our favorite little local health food cafe where I love the Thai peanut tempeh and veggies wrapped in a collard green. Shawn always gets the plain veggie wraps, no sauce. This time I let him get the key lime pie for desert.
The lady who works there is a big fan of Shawn. Every time we go there she yells out his name and lets him come behind the counter and talk to her while she makes the food. He refers to her as "my friend."
When the kids are grown I often wonder what they will remember of their childhood. I remember the one-on-one time with my parents, because in a big family it was pretty rare. I try to spend alone time with each of my kids every week. Some is built in: Bedtime they usually get some time with me. Shawn and I read. Annabel and I read, or sometimes she sings for me and I give her feedback. (She thinks of these as lessons.) Skylar likes to show me funny short videos, or just talk. There is never a shortage of things to discuss with any of my kids.
But when I take one of my kids somewhere in the car, it's a really big deal. So today was Shawn's special day with mom, and it was special for both of us.



5 comments:
Yes, that's a good reminder. To schedule, arrange, make time for alone time with each child.
Your son is so cute -- he radiates!
such sweet pictures, theresa! i think shawn will remember his alone time with you no matter what the size of his family.
my husband and i both try to schedule alone time with each child every week. they, of course, love it, look forward to it, and talk about it on the days leading up to it. i enjoy it as well. it helps me get to know what is going on with my children since they will often say things that they wouldn't say in front of the whole family because of all the chaos and noise.
Solo time with one kid is a very good thing. I hardly ever get to do it. And a lunch date with your boy is precious time.
Those 1:1 times are so special and very fruitful, I think.
Perfect moments...
Post a Comment