Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

November 16, 2010

corner view~anything goes

I made this painting a few years ago, after a ten year hiatus from painting.  I woke up one morning with Shawn still a baby and decided if I didn't paint then, I might never paint again.  Later when Shawn was taking a nap, I grabbed our art supplies, and I included my girls that day along with our babysitter, Annie.  They each made their own paintings, and we all had so much fun.  

This painting came from that day.  I worked in warm colors, which was new for me.  
I really love how it turned out, like a rosebud waiting to blossom, but beautiful as it is.  Isn't that the goal?  To be happy with the process of our lives, and enjoy every stage, including the rosebud stages?

It is for me.

This painting was then chosen to be in a book about artists who are also poets.  I also had some poetry published.  I will share one of the poems, written about our son when he was a baby.

First Boy
My wondrous child
with bright red wavy hair
resembles the great grandfather
he never knew-
who tinkered and built
gadgets of all sorts.
"A man needs a workbench"
was his motto.

This boy is on a mission.
Just today,
he unloaded the dishwasher,
drawers and all,
pulled a painting off the wall,
and joyously dumped
a box of three hundred toothpicks
on the kitchen floor.

Someday he will learn
from his grandfather
how to repair a door hinge,
refinish an antique,
grow a green lawn.
He may build a rock path, a fence,
and maybe, just maybe,
fix something for me.

This is the book.

Thanks to Ninja, for this idea.  Next week's theme is "taking a different perspective" and it comes from Dana.  And please feel free to leave me ideas for more corner views.  I like to include you all in this, if possible.   

32 comments:

Janis said...

Thoughtful post, touching poem, energetic painting! Brava Theresa

Don said...

Your painting and your words are so strong. Thanks!

shayndel said...

Beautiful and expressive poem and painting.
I love finding out all these facets of you. Congratulations on the book.
As one who also crosses media, I am interested in it and will check it out:)) I like this theme and it may well be a good theme song!

nadine paduart said...

that painting is powerful! you must have enjoyed playing about with those flaming colours...
i love it when life takes a turn which then urges to create. yeah, well, such is life anyway.
x

Ian said...

Interesting. When I was a boy, I used to doodle the shape in the centre of that painting over and over again.

;) said...

A nice post and a "strong" painting. I see fire of life, desire... strenght. That's great.

tanïa said...

Beautiful painting and poem, that both really please me! I am sometimes painting or rhyming myself and the process of creation always makes me so focused and calm, and this is exactly what I like most about it. Thank you for sharing!

Elisa said...

WOw, I love the colors of the painting. And your poem is beautifully written. What a great tribute grandfather and your son.

I will be linking your post on mine today for corner view!

anna said...

beautiful words & image. Do you still paint?

(themes: improvising, how to.., communication)

McGillicutty said...

I love it.. to be creative is the goal in life I think.. otherwise what else is there. Thanks for sharing.

Cherry B said...

I like it! All of it-- thanks for sharing :)

Daan said...

Great post! Love it!

Cole said...

Lovely! I love so many things about this post. That you saw the beauty and potential and expressed it in both the painting and in the poem. That you took back your time and reworked it into something new- painting with your children instead of deciding it had to be one or the other. Your ability to take what most would just complain about- all the rascally antics of children and see how it might manifest later- well that fits next weeks theme as well!
Really lovely Theresa!

tikjewit said...

...waiting for the sun -peekaboo- painting! (what about a theme; Light..?) Enjoy!

likeschocolate said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing with us. This is amazing. Your really are talented. How lucky!

Kimberly said...

Congratulations! Beautiful! There is something special about a red-headed little boy, isn't there?

KathyA said...

Your talents are obvious!

Kari said...

lovely painting and the words from your poem are wonderful.

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem said...

Wonderful poem and painting. Thanks for sharing this.

Mari Mansourian said...

beautiful painting! lovely poem! BRAVO!! :)

Bonnie said...

I love your painting. It is beautiful !!

My CORNER VIEW is up now too ! :)

Mezzamay said...

Amazing painting - I love the fact that your kids contributed to the art!

Dorte said...

What a beautiful poem and painting :)

la ninja said...

you are just the epitome of the interdisciplinary, aren't you? a music producer (no less!) these days.

I totally dig the rosebud painting collaboration with the girls and the fact that your turned into poetry your boy wreaking havoc in the house :)

my pleasure. I love this not having a clue what people are going to post about.
achoo x

Francesca said...

Congratulations Theresa! I didn't know you were a published artist and poet!

Anonymous said...

Lovely poem and beautiful painting! I have two red-heads!

Anonymous said...

what is next week's cv theme? dying to jump back in! thanks!

Kasia said...

Beautiful painting. You are very talented!
Thank you for sharing :)

Kasia

Tzivia said...

I was very moved by your painting, the story behind it and your poem! I love your philosophy about finding joy in the process!

flowtops said...

I love the dynamics of the painting and how it came about!

RosaMaría said...

Lovely poem and beautiful painting! thankyou!!

Tzivia said...

Taking you up on your request for CV themes: How about "Dreams and Visions." :)