Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

July 21, 2010

corner view~me

The me I was fourteen years ago.  A new mother with a five day old babe in my arms, me crying everytime Gary sang "Sky's Lullaby," a song he still hasn't recorded, although it is one of my favorites.  Me: a wife for one year.  I always dreamed of being married to someone who could sit at a piano and sing with me.

The years have passed and in the busy-ness of raising three kids I spent ten years not painting, something I used to spend hours doing every free Saturday I had when I was young and single and free. Until one day in 2003 I sat down by golly and painted something entirely new, something in reds and yellows, something I never would have created in my twenties.  I have moved many times since that photo was taken with Gary and baby Sky at the Steinway, and now we have a new piano, a Bosendorfer, I know how to grow food, there is the Internet and Youtube and Facebook and email, but I still have some of those paintbrushes from my younger days.  And I am going to pull them out when we get home.

Somehow I have come to be the me that I am today.  I am finally taking singing lessons.  "If not now, when?" I have to ask.

And a few days ago I took the kids to the Torpedo Factory in Old Town Alexandria, where I lived in my twenties -- a place I took for granted when I was a young thing.   We walked through the halls surrounded by working artists, we looked at large colorful abstract paintings, one of a kind handmade sweaters and belts, bottle cap pendants, shiny glazed pottery, and in that hour I found myself, and I remembered oh yeah, I am an artist.  I don't care if what I make pleases anyone.  I just need to make things again.

Me now.  More relaxed, happier, certainly wiser.  Sometimes I feel the inklings of what it will be to be an old lady.  But I am still a girl at heart.  And soon I will be an artist again.

p.s. This video is what my creative energy has gone into in the last month.  Song is "A Whisper Can Change the World."  We did have a team, but I gave input.

19 comments:

jane said...

i know what you are talking about. it´s really hard not to lose yourself:) can´t wait to see what the older you creates. p.s. happy belated birthday!! hugs to you all!

Skylar said...

You forgot one thing: best and most hardworking mom who her kids adore!

Elizabeth said...

And YOU are a miracle.

Bree said...

it looks like your are a very nice 'me'

Conny said...

Awwww ~ you hadn't really forgotten who you were, just some things (like art) are saved to revisit later. Same boat here = watercolor painting and fiddle playing.

Your CV post is inspiring. And yes, happy belated birthday. :>)

~ Conny

KathyA said...

Wonderful retrospective -- and I daresay, you've still retained 'you' even though the hiatus!

nadine paduart said...

hello, so nice to meet you.

Cate said...

what a beautiful, open-hearted post. i like that your now-self went back to the place where your young-self used to hang and get inspired. and that you brought your kids along. it feels that an integration of those two selves can happen in that space, and integration that has already begun. cannot wait to see what happens, theresa.

and, now, i am off to watch.

shayndel said...

Yeah, for YOU! I love the way you describe your experience, and can feel from the pictures and your words the artist you, the mother you, the loving you! oh, and At first when I saw the top picture, I thought you were Annabel:))

Janis said...

Thank you for taking us through a segment of your journey, so far ... hooray for the artist in you :)

denise said...

Ohhhh, I hear you. I spent most of my life as a musician and artist. Since having kids it has slipped away. And when I 'try', it seems so hard. I know I am still the artist and musician == but sometimes I feel trapped in this 40-something year old moms body! ;)

anna said...

Very nice post. I'd love to see your art!

RosaMaría said...

beautiful post! is amazing see the mom that you are and hope see more about the artist you really are!

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem said...

Lovely to hear a little about you, then and now. And how wonderful that you are going for the singing lessons and still have those paintbrushes from back then. You go girl !

Anonymous said...

it's so easy to loose ourselves in the all roles we play.

Valerie said...

you're such a great person !
and i'm so happy for you to read your daughter's loving words here above
the first photo of you 14 years ago really touched me even though we don't know each other
a beautiful post. really.

Traveling Mama said...

yes, something we all should remember! It's not about the result, but the process... getting our hands messy and playing for a bit.

Francesca said...

What a nice post Theresa. You are an artist, and will be a practicing artist again. I know that this pause has in fact only given you more focus and inspiration. Hugs.

Kenza said...

Oh this post is absolutely beautiful. So much love! My throat closed seeing the little one in your arms on the first photo... Lovely... Thank you!