While in LA we took the family to a retreat with Amma. We met up with a fellow blogger, Elizabeth and her beautiful children, and they were able to meet Amma as well. You can read Elizabeth's posts about her experience here and here.
When I go see Amma I like to watch her interact with people and with my children. She is such an example of good mothering - patience, compassion, calm demeanor, a sense of humor, a passion for life, and most of all, love -- all qualities that help me with my kids. She seems to be so caring and interested in every minute detail people want to share with her.
When we are seeing Amma, she and the swamis give talks. Gary loves to attend the talks and he takes great notes. Below is one of many wonderful stories from the retreat, told by one of Amma's swamis.
. . . .One day a famous heart surgeon took his Mercedes Benz to a car mechanic. He decided to watch while the mechanic fixed the engine -- a craft which the surgeon knew nothing about. All the engine parts lay on he ground amongst the mechanic’s various tools as he slowly put it all back together.
After the mechanic fixed the engine he said, “Doctor, may I ask you a question? Why is it that I can fix this engine and you can’t, but I only make thirty grand a year while you make over a million?”
The heart surgeon replied, "Try fixing that engine with the motor running."
The same holds true in meditation. It is relatively easy to meditate in a quiet room and take apart the tricks of the mind one by one, completely still and self absorbed. But try meditating in the midst of life, while life is happening to you. Then you will understand the difference between meditation practice, and living a meditative, compassionate life.
Make sure your actions originate from the heart instead of the mind, with your family, in your marriage, with your children and friends, neighbors and strangers. Then you will be the heart surgeon!
Like Amma, you will constantly be repairing hearts all over the world.
5 comments:
What a wonderful story! It was so great to meet you and your beautiful family -- an experience that I'll never forget. I thank you, profusely, for helping to make it happen for us.
I am glad it was wonderful! I am so sorry I missed her! I have people in town plus started teaching summer workshops!
Blessing and light to you!
What a beautiful photo! Thanks for your words about life and meditation.
Lovely -- wonderful allegory.
Wonderful words to remember.
Post a Comment