In our house sweets are treats, and something we don't have every day. It makes it more special that way. Ever since the children were little I have baked for the family. I would cut the sugar in 1/2, and often use honey, maple syrup, date sugar, or what I have recently discovered, agave nectar. I wanted my kids to be able to have a cookie, but not to have it too sweet. Up until a few years ago their concept of a good cookie was a scone. But then Dad has introduced root beer floats and they had a few too many pieces of taffy and birthday parties and now reality has set in.
We do alot of baking, and have made a tradition of homemade unique birthday cakes, always made by me until the past year when my oldest has taken the lead for her siblings. In the last couple years the kids have convinced me to get "regular" candy to decorate their cakes. I liked it better when I used fresh flowers.
Ice cream at Grandma and Grandpa's is of course a treat, or s'mores around their firepit. Decorated graham crackers with my home school group made last week very fun. And then last summer we just had to go to France where the treats are works of art, displayed in cabinets to cause the most possible temptation, and introduce me to my most favorite treat of all -- meringue. Oh dear.
For a visual and mouth watering journey of people's favorite sweets around the world, go to the sidebar here.








20 comments:
What a lot of sweet treats. You've been working hard. They all look delicious.
I want to come live at your house! These sweets look amazing!
Although, I can sympathize with your defeat on the fresh flower decorations. Treats like this always look SO yummy, but I secretly cringe when I see my kids actually eating them.
I never thought of decorating a cake with fresh flowers, what an inspiration (at least for MY birthday cake, as I know my kids prefer theirs decorated with the "regular" candy too)
I agree that the treats in France are art work. I remember eating a raspberry tart once. The raspberries where as big as my thumb.
you are a cake genius! they all look wonderful. thanks for that sweet treat. and hello to skylar! hugs! p.s. do you mind thinking up next week´s theme? thanks!
Love your cakes (wow with wild flowers!)
and icecreamcones by grabdparents are always the best!
Oh my god !! we don't know this kind of sweets here !!!
oh my you have some amazing sweets here, love that last one :)
I am a sucker for sweets and actually spent many years as a pastry chef. I love your photos and wish I could eat just one slice of that chocolate cake right now! Thanks for the corner view!
YUMMY!!!
We've been hooked on Agave too! Good stuff! These cakes are AMAZING!! Great job!
Now those are sweet treats from around the world. I like the variety of cakes; my favorite is the one with flowers atop.
My son (6) asked for a dirtbike and motocross track theme. How am I supposed to make a bumpy cake that looks like dirt? I'm putting that request off - trying to redirect his attention to ice cream cake. Good luck to me.
Love your sweet corner view today.
lovely! and I like how you describe it all. So gentle... thanks for your kind comment on caramelo! have a lovely end of the week.
Mmmm... I don't do sweets all that often but your pictures could change my mind!!!! very colorful!!!
Lovely Sweets! I love the flowers on the cake!
ha! we like using natural sweeteners at home to bake too. or less processed sugars. doesn't make it any less decadent. :)
You're right ! Sweet must be "special"... Your's are particularly made for a "gourmand" (in french in the text)
wow. those cakes are fab (and a few "regular" gummies won't hurt anyone.) fresh flowers is pretty amazing, though. you can try and combine both, a bud here, a teddy bear there ;)
I think baked goods are the best treat to have too!
Beautiful homemade sweets, sorry I'm late, hope there's a piece of the flower cake left:))
Post a Comment