Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

February 10, 2010

corner view~repurposed

Before the children were born (when I had more free time) I got really into making mosaics.  The strawberry pot, pictured above, was my first piece.  I also made a scene above my bathtub with broken tiles and plates, and covered a long wall in the backyard with pieces of marble, slate and granite.  I befriended a woman who had a tile store and she used to give me all of her old samples, included rare marbles from Italy!  I made tables and picture frames and flower pots.  We don't live in that house anymore but once I master scanning old photos I will share them.

Francesca's theme really got me thinking about making something old into something new.  For me, it's second nature.  My parents loved antiques, and I grew up surrounded by old things often made into new things.  Being of a thrifty nature coupled with the joy of discovery, my dad and uncle once jumped into a dumpster to get an antique wood treasure.  They beautifully refinished all of the wood pieces they gathered, and now their homes are filled with them, and many have been passed on to their children.

For me, repurposing seems to encourage not just reuse, but creativity.  A few years ago we had a tree trimmed and I fashioned a trellis out of some of the thickest branches.  The bark is now peeling, and the beans that grew up it didn't do so well, but it still sits in the garden, smiling down on the peppers and Swiss chard, beckoning me to remember that no matter how busy I am, I am still an artist.

To see more corner views about repurposing, go to the sidebar here.  And be sure to check out my daughter Sky's corner view. 

16 comments:

la ninja said...

hey, mosaics. are they easy to make? looks like fun. smashing stuff to pieces and then put them together again the way you want to :)

Janis said...

The trellis is such a good idea - like how you used old branches to fashion something new :^)

denise said...

i love mosaics. i plan to make one as a backsplash in my kitchen when i motivate myself. :)

i love to re-use too - for art, mostly, so i don't have much around as i tend to give things for gifts.

i love that strawberry pot. very inspiring. :)

Joyce said...

An artist is always an artist. I like what you did with the branches and the broken tile. Enjoy! xo

liza said...

I love that strawberry pot. And your words. Thanks for them!

likeschocolate said...

I have alway wanted to try making a mosaic table. Great job on the planter.

kimmie said...

I've always wanted to try making a mosaic - yours are so pretty!

Isabelle said...

yes your trellis is a piece of art ...

Dorte said...

Beautiful strawberry pot ... thanks for sharing :)

MyrtilleD said...

Repurposing needs creativity but at home kids are better than me fir that! I love your mosaic :-)

Anonymous said...

I never try to do mosaics... why not ?!!!

Ritva said...

lovely mosaic!

McGillicutty said...

I love mosaics but have never tried it... now the kids are a little older and don't need constant supervision I may just demand me some mosaic time!!! love the trellis.

Francesca said...

I think people used to repurpose more until just recently. Quilting, which is now just a craft, was born out of the need to have covers and to use up every single fabric scrap. (I also salvage things from next to dumpsters - chairs and demijohns - but I've never jumped into them:) Perhaps I would for antique wood!). I really hope you can get back into making mosaics, such a wonderful craft. My best friend was a mosaic maker, she made a good living out of it.

Palmer and Co said...

Oh, I love this idea with the branches!! And what an artist you are!! Beautiful work!

shayndel said...

YOu are a natural at making beautiful and creative things :)
Happy re-purposing!!