Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

February 4, 2015

my california girls

Eighteen years ago I found these incredible women in an exercise class for pregnant mothers and new mothers.  We began meeting with our babies in parks, and eventually in each other's homes.  We shared those milestones of firsts -- first teeth, first steps, first words.  It was an incredible support system.  At first we met with the babies every week.  Eventually we also began meeting one evening, every once in awhile without the kids.  We took a weekend trip to the coast.  It was so much fun.

When Skylar was three years old we moved.  The moms stayed close friends.  Their kids grew up together.  Many summers we returned to California and would visit. With a summer birthday, Skylar had some birthday parties with her babyhood friends.

One of my California girls' parents have a second home in my town now.  Recently they all came for a week, and the added another wonderful woman, and I got to be with them for several of the days.  I went over for dinner, I took them to the beach and out to lunch, to the bead store in our town, I took them to my favorite Indian restaurant.  We celebrated a birthday.  They got a vacation, I got a vacation.  It was so special, for so many reasons.  We had so many laughs.  We have shared so much. There is nothing like old friends.

I love my California girls.

2 comments:

Francesca said...

it's wonderful that you were able to stay in touch for all that time, and that now you have friends with whom you've shared so many moments of motherhood!

Kristin said...

This is wonderful, if friendship is as durable and above all a great distance down.