I was cleaning the refrigerator one night and after I was finished I noticed a spot that I had missed. As I wiped this final spot I felt immediate relief. Ahh, that's better, it's all clean. Take care of it and then let it go, I said to myself.
In that simple gesture something struck me.
How often we have little messes in life that we are faced with.
It could be not getting along with a person. Or feeling like you have too much to do. Too much schoolwork. Too much technical work with your music. Not enough down time. If we clean (or deal with) these things immediately, we can move on. If we leave them messy, oftentimes what happens? More messes follow. Your relationships suffer. You get behind on schoolwork, and your grades can suffer.
And often we make things so much harder than they have to be. We spend all this time worrying about things or avoiding things we don't want to do. It's such a relief to just do it, right this second, and then let it go.
Life is beautiful and a blessing. As Shawn just said recently, "Everything is amazing!" But life can sometimes also feel like a series of demands that we have to do. Homework, cleaning rooms, and chores can feel like a burden in the busy lives of kids who have so much else they like to do with their time.
So try this out, next time you feel overwhelmed in your life.
Take care of it and then let it go.
And if you're not sure how to take care of it, or you need our help, Dad and I are here for you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment