Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

April 24, 2012

corner view~room with a view

Years ago, before our son was born, we lived in a house on a hill with many rooms that had views.  We had views of mountains dotted with homes and beautiful large oak trees.  Deer would come to munch on our gardens, and an occasional turkey vulture would swoop overhead in search of his dinner.  There was a roof deck where we would sometimes eat dinner, and sleep on a futon on a hot summer night.  Up there, you really felt like you were on top of the world.

Annabel and Skylar were born in this house.

Gary especially loved the expansive views.  His music studio, that he designed, had a large picture window to look out on the vista.  I put in a colorful flower garden right outside his room, and sometimes he would wander out there to talk on the phone.  

I remember sitting in a front bedroom, when Sky was a baby, nursing her in our glider rocking chair.  I put the chair in a position so that I could see into the nearby bathroom, where I had done a mosaic over the bathtub.  I loved to look at it from afar, at the colors and images I came up with years before, in a stroke of creativity in the middle of an otherwise chaotic bathroom remodel.

We had been looking at tiles, and the only ones I liked were the super expensive Italian kind, and that's when it hit me.  I should do my own tiling.  And so I did.

Are there corners of your home where you sit and enjoy a room from afar?

12 comments:

Joyce said...

I love how nature surroundings your beautiful home. I bet you miss a piece of it since it holds so many wonderful memories. Thank goodness our hearts are big enough to hold these special moments. xo

Kristin said...

Your post sounds very good. The perfect house.

I really like your header very much.

Francesca said...

What a nice memory and what a nice drawing of house with many views.

Elizabeth said...

This is such a lovely reverie, and the painting is beautiful.

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem said...

Lovely memories of your home. And your tiles look wonerful too.

likeschocolate said...

Sounds like you have good memories of that house.

Bonnie said...

This is a beautiful post ! Though I can only see the outside of the home, I feel I have had a good view of the inside too ! What a great description you have shared with us. Special memories, eh ?

Heather said...

Sounds like paradise!

gis said...

It was indeed a great home with many exterior and interior views! I love your drawing, it contains all that life in it!

Unknown said...

sounds a very inspiring place with infinite views. remembering them is opening the same window to the same views. keep them on mind

flowtops said...

It must've been hard to bid that house farewell.

As we've done all of our remodelling ourselves, from mosaicing to plastering, to laying floors, I'm always pleased to just sit and look around the house, especially when the sun shines in.

Nicki

nadine paduart said...

greatest post, theresa, filled with contented longing. i even love the drawing so very much, it helps the imagination set off.
i also love your new blog lay out, it makes your intentions breathe.
great!
n♥