What is it about collecting rocks and beach glass by the sea that brings so much joy?
The thrill of the hunt, finding ones shaped like hearts, or perfectly round ones, or oval ones, little spheres, pea shaped ones...knowing exactly which rocks are worth taking, which are better left behind, certain colors are most special, all of them shining wet, how important in those moments the tiniest things on earth can seem, precious like gemstones, a gift from God and the sea.
I have loved this meditative activity since I was a little girl. This past summer I had the opportunity to experience this joy twice, along the shores of Miller Beach in Indiana, and where the earth meets the water at the Ligurian Sea in Italy.
11 comments:
Treasures...
I don't know what it is, but I do know that it's addictive!
I understand this! warm greetings from cold France!
I like these kind of treasures too. I have a rock from Isreal and one from the top of Mt Versuvus. Mostly shells though are what I fancy.
We love doing this too. We come home with a bag or two of treasures from the sea every time we go to Golden Bay :-)
I too love doing this and have since I was a small girl. Pretty lucky to find the heart stones too. xo
Theresa, i understand this, too. My cousin and I would sit for hours in the gravel sifting through rocks. It is like a meditation.
So great to get to read your blog again. xoxo
i find sea glass to have a huge satisfactory factor too. the worn aspect on a durable material such as glass, it has quite an amazing effect. oh yes! suprise, and joy!
n♥
those are great treasures and i think it is a joy to search for them at the beach or wherever too....!
The glass thingies look lovely. Nice collection!
Nicki
I love collecting stones at the beach, especially "sea stones" (or "sassi di mare" as your ligurian ones would be) as we called rounded glass sherds when we were kids! Thanks for the joyful memories.
Post a Comment