This CV was a challenge. Early is not a big part of my vocabulary. Very little in my life has happened early. And I am almost never early for anything! More so I feel like I am always waiting for things to happen...sometimes it is hard to trust that everything is happening at the right time, isn't it?
So this CV led me to thinking about the concept of timing in general.
Remember my "the best things that ever happened to me in my life were never planned realization?"
Well here I am, at the beginning of a three month life adventure, first time I have ever done anything like this, even when I was single...I always did everything as expected and at the right time -- school, then college, then grad school (cuz I couldn't get a job right out of college), then job, then marriage, then children...
But now we have "interrupted" our normal life to take the kids on an adventure. We had this idea to spend the fall in LA, to "see what LA has to offer us, and immerse ourselves in the creativity of the city." Right after Gary and I talked about considering this, the details fell into place perfectly. Several factors lined up within a two week period of time to allow us to be here, including finding renters for our home, finding places to rent here, one was available for one month, the other, to the day, for the next two months.
So far we have been in the city of angels two days and all of the kids are immediately jumping into their music, both girls wrote songs the first day, we have already found really cool classes for the two youngest to take during August before school starts, sports camps and an etiquette class that don't exist where we live, and the girls' acting coach is literally right down the street. Sky's producer is here too. Cool.
In addition, it's a little challenging because after all of the traveling we have done and stayed healthy during, now our little Annabel is sick and we are in this house where we don't really know where we are. Plus Annabel isn't feeling well enough for acting classes, so there is no need to call the coach yet. I feel like things are on hold. In fact I haven't left the house yet except for to take one walk. We were going to take the kids to a park today, hopefully Gary will have time to do it on his own. I will stay behind and nurse my little songbird back to health. At least I have a fridge full of food to cook for the family! And a garden to take care of.
I am also worried about the girls' education. Both of them have gotten into our charter school back home I found out this summer, the school with the huuge wait list. I am trying to contact them to see how we can keep them up to par til we get home. When I talked to them last year about the likelihood of us traveling, they were surprisingly supportive of making it work. But if course I wonder...what if we are too late? Home schooling has worked for us in the past, but little Annabel really wants to go to school this year. Parenting, always a balancing act!
Do you ever look back on your life and all of the "synchronicites" that happen and wonder, what if I had been too late? Or too early? My personal current favorite: What if the timing was perfect even though it didn't seem so at the time?
Timing does make a big difference in everything that happens in our lives.
And we are here for now, so we are going to make the best of it!!
This is the house we are renting for the month

15 comments:
I guess I wish I hed met my husband a couple of years earlier. We'd probably have a house now. But then again, I think that I might not have met him at all, right?
Happy week!
I love the synchronicities of life, though I must admit that only in hindsight I can understand why the timing was right.
So, even if we're kind of stuck in one place (physically, that is) for the moment, I am sure that in a few years time, we will look back and know it was OK.
(Or perhaps that is a trick of the human mind, to find a way to make everything look just right, and forget about the nasty or tiresome bits.)
Have a great time in LA. The house looks dreamy :)
I like your thoughts, "What if the timing was perfect even though it didn't seem so at the time?" because it is so true. Is it being too bold to ask, will you being staying in LA for a long period of time? This has to be an exciting time for the kids. Starting a new school and enjoying their surrounds. I always say life gives the best lessons.
Your LA home looks beautiful! xo
yes! i think about that a lot. if the timing was different, wouldn't our lives be so different? ..
happy cali living! bet the kids are loving that.
When I first fell in love at age 15 with my husband, I was much too early. We had completely different goals and dreams. We tried several times to make it work, but finally gave up. After marrying and getting my house with the white picket fence, a girl and a boy, a dog and a cat, and a station wagon (then a van), I found myself starting over after an unwanted and difficult divorce. After gluing a lot of the pieces back together and on a good path, I called my first love. He had never married--said he wouldn't. He didn't want kids either, but always thought grandkids would be cool. We've been happily married now for 13 years and have 6 grandchildren. I've learned to trust when it appears I'm too early for something. For me, God's timing is an enigma, but a great one. :>)
Sounds like a wonderful adventure you've embarked on. Enjoy!
I'm doing well so I'm always waiting something happens. And then nothing happens. And I am still waiting. To walk a very fine adventure for your family to another town. Out of the everyday.
some very interesting thoughts ... and so nice for you all that things sync :)
Interesting! I hope your "new" life in LA will be nice and interesting for you and your family.
What a great adventure - enjoy!
I guess things happens at the time you need it most [ good things, even not so good things] and afterwards you can say: now i understand why this or that has happened!
So at that point time is always perfect ;-)
my, t! i'm loving your post. a lovely insightful thing... time, and early, and late... ha!
what i find so amazing, thrilling and reassuring about your trip and the prospects is that you do stay grounded in every possible sense.
i feel this adventure o' yours couldn't have come at a better time.
good health to all!
X
n♥
I hope Annabel gets well soon, and fully enjoy the life in LA: it's a good time for your family to be there - not too early, and not too late!
I think that you really can consider the synchronicities of life and "the" good moment after having lived them ;-) At the moment, you just go through trying to figure out if it is or not a good moment, but who knows... I admire your decisions of home schooling and fall in LA. It is so difficult to jump out of the norms and that's great all you family feels exactly the same about it.
Enjoy ! And keep on building your own stars (the walk of fame isn't too far, right?)
I liked this post, and like you I am not an early person. For the time being, I feel like everything I do is late, unfinished and still lingering. Maybe I will find when I look back in a few years that everything was perfecly on schedule.
LA sounds like a glorius adventure. Wishing you a great time.
Post a Comment