Our kitchen counter is a place where the kids as toddlers have stood on stools and watched me cook. They have learned to measure, sift flour, crack eggs, and eventually chop food. We have made all sorts of dinners -- pasta with fresh red sauce, gnocchi with homemade pesto, vegetable pie with fresh gravy, burritoes with homemade guacomole from our neighbor's trees, three layer enchilada pie, Chinese inspired stir fry with homemade garlic/ginger sauce, all sorts of Indian curries, homemade chai, and plenty of salads. We make meats, fish, potato dishes, soups and casseroles. We have baked cookies, made pancakes and waffles, pies, homemade pizza, cookies, sorbet (one time), and of course birthday cakes (my personal favorite). All on one counter.
This kitchen counter is a place where I admire goods from our garden. I love picking fruits and vegetables from our yard, bringing them inside to the counter, and working a little magic to make them into delicious dishes to serve my family.
This year that love seems to have really caught hold of the children. So I started what we are calling "Theresa's Cooking School."
A couple of nights ago Annabel asked me what the different levels in the school were. We decided that there are five total. Beginner, advanced beginner, intermediate, upper intermediate and master chef. Annabel loves to know where she stands. I told her confidently at dinner, "You are a solid intermediate." She agreed with that assessment.
In Theresa's Cooking School being a solid intermediate means one can make a single dish, cooked and well spiced, by oneself. Annabel has mastered curry tofu and a French bean dish. But trust me folks, she is going for the master chef status.




17 comments:
What a beautiful concept, a cooking school for the children.
Just this morning we were discussing formal drawing lessons for Top3, perhaps even in a little school setting.
I think I'll add cooking to the curriculum as well. He's already very good at making toast and pancakes. And at eating cookie dough ;-)
I like how the kids from little on found their spot in the kitchen and on the counter. I love the cooking school idea too. xo
*Teehee*...Being a Master Chef is serious business!! This reminded me of my granny's kitchen table. She didn't have a counter, but that table was the cutting, chopping, kneading capital of the world!! ^_^
looks like a great kitchen filled of fun!!!
What a beautiful kitchen. If you always seems to be something going on. Great.
Kitchens are best when they are busily used. This seems to be the case at yours! Love your cooking school concept! I had cooking lessons in primary school and loved to cook easy things which we of course ate at the end of the lessons...it was fun!
What a nice idea, Theresa! I can't wait for the day when I have one other cook (upper intermediate would do) in the house :)
The best stories and memories are formed in the kitchen. These are things your children will keep in their memories. Fun corner view today. :>)
Wow, I can sure use some classes at your cooking school :) I'm in Cooking Kindergarten, myself :) But it looks like your countertop is a lively and welcoming place to learn!
Great idea. It looks like they love doing their homework!
A family that cooks together stays together. http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2011/03/moving-day-corner-view-kitchen.html
look at them go, man!
raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. theresa's little helpers turning into proper chefs.
with that bagage, she really should too!
I think it's wonderful to have "Theresa's Cooking School"!
I also love to share these precious moments with the kids ... happy week end !!
I wish I could Facebook-style "like" this :)
so great. this is one of the best ways to spend time with kids and teach them good habits, self-reliance, self-confidence and creativity all at once! great pictures, they look so happy!
and boy do those passion fruit look good! we used to visit our neighbors vines up the road in oahu and come home with tshirts full. they make great souffles!
i don't know anybody right now who can help you with your l.a. plans but i'll keep an ear out!
Post a Comment