Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

July 7, 2008

heat wave

We were invited to dinner at our friends home in Orinda. We spent time together when our firstborns were babies. It was so much fun to connect with old friends. The first few days in Orinda were really hot. I wasn't sure of the typical weather patterns until one night I went into the drugstore to buy squirtguns for the kids, which seemed the only intelligent choice of toy for the moment. I couldn't find any so I opted for squirt bottles. Two men were in line in front of me, both buying huge bags of ice.

"Excuse me," I said. "I am from out of town. Is this a heat wave?"

Hello, McFly!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Yes it is. This is bloody hot!" the man answered. "But it's supposed to clear soon."

I was relieved and hopeful that we would get some of those beautiful sunny California cloudless summer days unlike the sticky oppressive heat that hung over us from morning til night.

Our friends took us to their local neighborhood pool. Their 2 boys and our kids had a blast and after the visit Skylar declared that Noah, their son who is her age, is on her best friend list. The pool was set in a gorgeous natural area.


Annabel was the first off the real diving board!
Skylar learned to dive.


This is Shawn before his first jump off the diving board. Look how scared he is!

Meanwhile Gary and Brad shot baskets and Gary showed of his dunking skills.

Then we went home and had a lovely dinner of salmon, potatoes, salad, and homemade cake for desert. All of the children performed music, and played wonderfully together.

No comments: