For Shawn, this past summer was about baseball.
When I think of him as a young child, one story comes to mind. He was about two, and he and I were visiting a park. On that particular day, there were several fathers there with their children, in fact I was the only mother in the park. I sat on a bench and watched as Shawn toddled over to people, kids and adults. He talked to everyone. Eventually the fathers went to sit on different benches perched throughout the park. Shawn walked over to each bench, one at a time. He climbed up on the bench and then turned around sitting right next to each man, so his little legs were right up against them. He turned to each man and began talking in his little raspy voice, until he visited each father.
It's no surprise that Shawn loved baseball camp this summer. It's no surprise that he made a new friend, a boy who gave him an entire box of baseball cards, because his uncle had given him several for his birthday. And it's no surprise that Shawn connected so strongly with his coaches, including the ex Giants pitcher, Jessie Foppert!
He was especially thrilled when after the first week he was awarded a wooden pro size bat for standing out among his peers and exhibiting good sportmanship.



No comments:
Post a Comment