We drove up north down a long quiet road, out of the city and into the countryside. We saw tiny markets, tractors for sale, and lots of trees. The road became windy at the end, and then we came to a clearing in the woods where Terri's house sat.
Terri (her real name is Teresa Lynn, and my name is Theresa Lynn) was one of Gary's and my first friends we made as a couple, when we began our life in California. Terri and I took tennis lessons together, we took women's weekend trips together, and she helped me finish my famous mosaic wall. We helped with each others' weddings, and we attended the births of each others' first children. One fo the best gifts I ever got was from Terri -- a truckful of large river rock, that I used to make a fireplace facade in my old house. She was such a dear friend to me. After Gary and I left California with Sky, age four, and Annabel as a baby, Terri moved to Santa Cruz and we didn't see her anymore. But two years ago we reunited when she visited us for a day. We picked up like we had just seen one another the day before, like you just can with some friends.
Our kids have fun with her boys. They hadn't seen them since they were very young. That didn't matter. They loved the swing and the expansive yard. We visited, and caught up, and retold old stories, and ate pizza and pasta and salad, and had some good laughs.
It was just like old times. Only with more kids.

2 comments:
I love to swing! It looks like you had a great visit!
Nice! These photos are so joyful :)
Post a Comment