Growth: We have taught our children that the most important thing in life is to be kind. In our book this supersedes intelligence, talent and strength. We tell them without kindness other strengths are weakened. In fact we tell them that kindness itself is power. Especially our son, who values strength above most anything else.
Growing: With the support of my awesome husband Gary in serving and cleaning up dinner back at home for our two youngest children, Sky and I have begun to help cook dinner at our local homeless shelter once a month. We do this through our local "Mother's Kitchen." We cook with some sweet friends, and they have a daughter too, so it is fun for the girls. We made a polenta, bean and cheese dish, fruit salad, mixed veggies, and fruit crisp for desert. We prepared food for about 60 people. Our friends were so happy we came because they really needed our help...two adults and a teen girl have been cooking the large meals by themselves for the last few months. And speaking of growing, look at the squash the shelter residents grew in their garden! We got to serve it to them! I sauteed it in oil and spices, and we added it to the polenta.


11 comments:
that is one big squash ! and one great post !! good on you for teaching them the importance of kindness ...
That is so lovely, Theresa and such a good example of important life lessons. Your children are growing up right.
This is a "monster-squash", right ?
When I read your post I think this meal had to be very nice and tasty :)
I am sure a great and delicious experience for all of you ...
true words and a huge squash!
I love that you are volunteering with your children. It is something that will stick with them and they will continue to do once on their own. Giving is so important! Thank you!
Wow! I don't think I've ever seen a squash as big as this one!
what a nice 'lesson' you learn your kids to grow up with!!
and what a huge squash!!!
You are a wonderful family: you teaching your eldest the value of community work, while Gary takes care of the younger kids.
That is so wonderful! What a great way to teach your children to love but to serve!
one word: wow!
you lovely people!!
n♥
Post a Comment