Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

September 10, 2012

life lessons

This is Skylar's webshow -- in this episode she addresses bullying.   

I was harassed in high school my first year by a group of troubled girls who were my age.  I am not kidding, one of the girls' fathers was in prison, and I went to a really good high school!  These mean girls were from the city.  I was a small town country girl.  I never did anything to them, they just started picking on me.  I told an adult but it didn't help, in fact it made it a little worse.   They were pretty scary to me.  There was this older girl in my school (Becky) who was on my gymnastics team and she got word of what was happening.   Becky was also a city girl.   She had a few choice words with the bully leader.  Let's just say those awful girls never even looked at me, let alone spoke to me ever again, and two were soon kicked out of our school, due to their own self destructive behavior.   The rest of my time in high school was much better.

Becky was my hero.  Thank you Becky!!

My daughter was teased and mistreated by some girls and accused of being -- are you ready? -- too happy.  Now she is in a school where there is zero tolerance for this type of behavior and she is loved by her friends for who she is.  For the most part the kids treat each other with respect, despite their differences.

Have your kids experienced being bullied?    

2 comments:

Francesca said...

So sorry to hear this! Fortunately, we've never had any experience with bulling (so far!) - not sure whether it's because it's not as common among boys ... The one thing that can be done against bullying is to talk about it openly, and raise awareness - good for Sky for addressing the issue!

Le monde dÖ said...

I had no experience like this one, but I hope your daughter is fine now :(