Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

September 6, 2011

corner view~indispensable

acrylic painting, 1992

Creativity is indispensable.  Absolutely necessary.  That's what I see as I visit your blogs.  So many artists, expressing themselves in word and image.   

Sometimes for me creativity comes in the form of cooking, garden or house design, photography, painting furniture.  Years ago, in art school, it came in the form of ceramics, bookmaking, drawing, metal sculpture.

Sometimes creativity comes in the form of painting for the sake of the pure joy of painting.  It has been a long time since I painted.  Seven years I think.

I'll get back there.

Today I was talking to my husband about how appreciative I am that he supports me in my creative pursuits.  Perhaps it is because he himself is an artist, a songwriter.  He understands.  Perhaps it is because he likes what I make.  Perhaps it is because he appreciates the magic of paintings.  He will spend hours in an art gallery, sometimes longer than I will want to stay.

Whatever the reason I am lucky.

Because I live in a house where if I spend the day wearing ripped, paint splattered jeans, blaring music, making art, paint in my hair, losing track of time, oblivious to the rest of the cares of the world with a bit of a wild look in my eyes...

...well, my husband thinks it's the coolest thing in the world.

17 comments:

Francesca said...

You make a wonderful couple!

Beth said...

I hadn't thought of creativity that way, but when I think of it, where would we be without creativity? So much would not have been invented or discovered.
But even more so, our souls would be listless--for everyone has a bit of creativity in them and thus the world goes around and is a better place.
Wonderful perspective. :>)

tanïa said...

Totally agree! Creativity is indispensable!

nadine paduart said...

that is pretty cool!
i do follow the picture you're painting in your post... ;)
n♥

sophie said...

You're found your "half orange". i guess he's more indipensable than creativity ;-)

swig said...

you are lucky, indeed - both!

Joyce said...

Creativity is a great way of viewing life through the many shades of color. A good choice my friend for indispensable. xo

G. E. Light said...

Creativity indeed. Like the act of making a blkog entry as well as painting a room.

Heather said...

What a great post and I agree, you seem to be a perfectly matched couple!

Tally said...

I was just thinking after I posted about in indispensability of creativity.
I couldn't sleep and suddenly started to follow what just came to me: the idea, the words, the urge to get outside into the rain in the middle of the night to take my phot.
After I shot the post online I was so happy, so fulfilled.
Yes, creativity (in this case blogging) feels so good, when it has the chance to live.

Lucky you for your supporting husband, your house, your abilities.

Happy painting
Tally

cate said...

yes! but wait? why has it been so long since you painted? 7 years! why on earth is that?

flowtops said...

Seven years is a long time, but I think I understand. I have a hard time juggling all that needs done, the kids, the housekeeping, the balancing act of life. And then there is work to pay for the bills. And then there is the life force, which for me entails poetry, painting, drawing, philosophy. This always seems to come in last, because you need time, and peace and quiet, all elements not readily available when the kids are small.

Luckily, Top1 and I support each other in all our creative endeavours.

I love that you are picking up where you left off. Hope to see some of your work soon!

Emily said...

Creativity IS indispensable, just like love and support are indispensable. I'm so glad you have all three!

alexandria said...

That is truly wonderful. I hope that you dabble in painting from time to time soon!

Mezzamay said...

Oh yes, I totally agree! It's really a part of human nature that many people neglect these days...just like exercise. The human body and soul was designed to create and move! And both things interact! I went to an exhibition at the V&A last week that was precisely about how important it it that human beings "make" things : http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/power-of-making/

likeschocolate said...

I wish creativity was a gift I could give my children.

la ninja said...

totally. I don't express my creativity as much as I should but defo. I'm with you, miss.