Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

May 17, 2011

corner view~room

When I was growing up my parents added a room onto our home.  It was a ground floor addition, overlooking the side part of the yard where the lilac tree was.

It was a magnificent room.

On two walls were large sliding glass doors, one looked over the cherry trees.  On the third wall was a window seat which faced the neighbors.  The other wall was wood shake, which gave the room a feeling of a cottage.  My parents called it the sun room, for obvious reasons, and in upstate New York, with our long cold winters, one was happy to get as many of those golden rays as possible.

Once that room was built, every year it held our Christmas tree, and we celebrated the holiday, which as also my grandmother's birthday, in there.  Even in December the room got a lot of light.  One year, when it was time for a new puppy, we met her in that room.  We could spread out in the sunroom and do homework all over the floor, closing the door for extra quiet.  We had slumber parties in there.  I remember opening gifts in there.  We had a round glass table in the sunroom, and on special occasions, we would eat out there.   But we had to be careful because of the nice carpet.

But my favorite part of the sunroom was the potted plants.  My mother had, and still has, a green thumb.  One year I think I counted twenty-six plants in the sunroom, several hanging from the ceiling.

I think it would be grand to have a library in a every house.  A dance room.  And yes, a sunroom.  Don't you agree?

15 comments:

Li + Belle said...

Oh yes, a library in every house - thats would be wonderful.

flowtops said...

I remember coming home from school and snuggling with the cat, basking in the rays of sun flooding our SW facing living room. Such joy. I stayed there as long as I could, mainly to avoid homework, but also because my room faced NE.

Jennifer said...

I love a sun room! My bedroom in the house where I grew up was actually the sun room off of another bedroom. It had two walls of windows. Probably was I have such a strong aversion to darkness....

nadine paduart said...

i agree.
i could so well imagine that favourite room of yours, through your words. oh heavenly, it sounds.
n♥

Joyce said...

Oh yes I agree! I also think there should be a girl/lady's room. My one friend has one, where she does all of her art and crafts. It is the coolest room. xo

likeschocolate said...

I would say the outside room is the most glorious. Today it is so beautiful here in Atlanta. Not to hot not to cold. Everything is all a bloom. Pollen count is low and I can't wait to get outside and tend to my garde. Have a happy day!

swig said...

Thank you for the story of your memory-room!

Mlle Paradis said...

lovely post about a room! and thanks for being someone else who thinks a few extra rooms might be a good thing! i hate cleaning them, but yup i could always use a few extra!

Tzivia said...

When I think of room I think inside and when I think of plants I think outside ... how nice to see your commitment to bringing the outside in ... and bringing books and dancing inside, too! Lovely post!

Francesca said...

What a nice memory. A sunroom with potted plants and books, would be grand.

Unknown said...

I have a library, the first thing I thought about...about dancing...a bit risky...but sometimes posible.

Sophie said...

Sweet memories. My grantparents also had one, kind of winter garden. We used to have there the Christmas tree too. And sunday lunches while the weather were not too cold anymore (in Belgium).
Have a good day

Isabelle said...

I would love to have a sunroom too ... it sounds like a magic room

KathyA said...

Absolutely!

Don said...

This sounds like a room with a heart.
Made for memories. And yes, a dance room would add spice to a home.