Is there anything better than a great book?
At the ripe age of eighteen I met a woman named Mimi Mills, she was the widow of a famous author, she was close to ninety then. What I remember most about her was her books. Every room in her house had books, piles of them -- even in the bathroom. The first time I was in her home I was struck by the fact that I was in a place where books were sacred, they were loved, they each had a world within them, and likely, many memories associated with them. Mimi used to write to me while I was away at college, notes on scrap pieces of paper, napkins, anything she could find, usually just a few lines.
I love books. In my dream house there is an entire room dedicated for reading, a library with floor to ceiling built-in shelves, comfortable chairs, fluffy pillows, a coffee table for tea, a working fireplace, plenty of windows for natural light, a Tiffany floor lamp.
I read books to inspire myself, I read to get lost, I read to laugh, I read to think and learn, and sometimes I read to stop thinking.
I have kept journals since I was a child. I am teaching my children the same, for sometimes the stories we tell, the books we write, are most important for our growth.
I am very proud that my husband is a published author, and he continues to write more and more novels daily. I hope to publish my writing someday. I am also proud that all of our children write stories - 30, 40, 50 pages long. Because everyone has a story to tell.



12 comments:
Lovely word and book related family. I would love to write, I used to but time has strange way of passing by.
i´d love to hang out with you in your dream library. are the last two your husband´s? warm hugs!
That' such a sweet story, do still have all those little letters? That must be a great and very special collection.
I love your corner view, and I dream about a very similar reading room of my own. Good luck with your book collecting--and of course, your writing!
I love your story of the author's wife - what a great memory. In my opinion, one can never have too many books. I don't have a lot of them, but the ones I do have are special to me. My husband doesn't much like to read and doesn't understand why I keep them.
Thanks for sharing your book collection today on Corner View. I'm off to see/read some more.
Cheers ~ Conny
what a fun post ! i enjoyed reading and and love that you all are telling your stories !
I can feel the love of books in your corner. Very nice. ox
such an affectionate post for books, stories and life.
no, there isn't.
great to read abut the impact that lady had on you and how you cultivate your family's lit-love. :)
Wow, what a prolific family! How wonderful ... all the words, thoughts, and stories that flow ... :)
Wow! A real life author at home! That's awesome! Books are indeed a big part of your family... which is how every family should be!
I wish you luck with your own writing. I admire your beautiful family of writers and musicians.
Post a Comment