Today I did something I rarely do. I bought myself a present for no reason. A book. Not a text book, or a book I felt I should read, just a fun book for nothing other than my sheer enjoyment.I felt inspired upon stumbling upon this new book while reading someone's blog that I don't even know. I acted upon impulse. It was so fun.
I have a distinct childhood memory of built-in bookshelves in the house I grew up in, as well as one at my grandparents'. I would sit and read my grandfather's book about John F. Kennedy, and their thick text of stories of morality for children, and my father's book about early American tools. There was something so comforting and peaceful about those spaces, and the books that were always there, that made me want to sit and read the same books over and over. These stories, and images, formed me -- my sense of who my family was and what their values were.
Someday I want to have a room in my house that is totally devoted to books and reading. A library. With soft, comfortable chairs, a few old windows with perfect sunlight angles for reading by day, and charming floor lamps for reading by night. The walls will be a very pale blue beach glass color. The floors will be wood with a soft rug on the floor to relax on if you choose that reading location. There will be several pillows of all sizes on the floor.
This home library will have so many wonderful books. There will be a children's section, with all of my favorite children's books, and also an adult section. Anything that's interesting to me, or beautiful to look at will be allowed in my library, but there will be no boring books. Guests will come and spend hours there. It will be the favorite room in the house, and will elicit a peaceful environment for our entire family.
And this book will be in it.
So back to what I just found:
Author: Pia Jane Bijkerk.
Book title: Paris: Made by Hand
According to the blogger who wrote about it, "the book is filled with beautiful photos and a wonderful guide to discovering handmade artisans, shops and specialties in Paris." The author's "love for handmade work is infectious, and her in-the-know guide to this incredible city is a must-read. Whether you’re looking for a comprehensive guide to Parisian handmade design, or just a few insider tips for great shops, Pia’s book has you covered."
CLICK HERE for the full interview.
By the way, we will be in Paris in 38 days, not that I am counting...
2 comments:
I just love books and presents for no reason....
books for no reason? those are treasures in and of themselves. And I'm not sure what I should be more jealous of-- the fact that you are going to Paris, or the place you get to return to...
Post a Comment