Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

December 1, 2014

real time


Man I'm so relieved!  I just found out I don't have jury duty this coming week.  I had gotten out of it so many times over the years, and then recently twice due to travel.  I just assumed that I might be needed.  Still, I was hoping the issue would be settled out of court, and it was.

It's a good thing.  December is a crazy busy time of year for us, especially this year. Sky has applied to three colleges, all ones she loves.  There are perhaps a couple more to apply to, but first we will find out in two weeks if she gets into one she applied for early decision.  She just submitted two of the three applications last night.  We visited one university a week ago.  

Now it's time to work on scholarships.  (Sky likes all private schools, of course).  Did you know there are hundreds of military scholarships?  Most she doesn't qualify for except the one for a grandchild of a Marine.  My dad was a Marine.  Did you know there are scholarships for people who operate ham radios?  There is a scholarship for just about everyone under the sun.   I am working my way through a book of, oh 2695 scholarships.  I am up to #702, which happens to be one for journalists.    

All this focus on academics has gotten me inspired.  I am thinking of applying to graduate school myself, in psychology.  Instead of clinical work, I think I want to do research, and teach.  I am really getting into science.  That combined with my interest in meditation has got me thinking about the science of mindfulness.  Right now I am learning about neuropsychology by watching Ted talks and Youtube videos of scientists and physicians.  I am looking into graduate programs.  I just got six GRE study books from the library.  

I am also trying to find time to continue working on a book about parenting that I started years ago.

Always so much to do.  My son doesn't read my blog so I can say this: I want to get him a robot kit for Christmas.  I prefer to get this vs. the video game he wants.  We got Annabel a bass. And Sky, well I won't say.  She reads this blog. 

I'm so excited to learn again.  To go back to school at my age!!  Science and life experience and the brain and the mind fascinate me, as does the soul.  Recently I talked to an old friend about career options and he urged me to go for what inspires me.  I'm searching for what exactly that is.  I just found out I can become a meditation teacher to teach the technique I practice.  Now that inspires me.          

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh, yes! You would be a wonderful teacher -- I can't wait to hear how your new life unfolds --

Skylar said...

You should be my teacher. :D