I do, to all these questions.
Earlier this month I visited a neighbor island again for my annual retreat. It was on the tail end of the school holiday break. So I went off for a few days while my wonderful husband tended to the kids and house and back-to-school routine.
Every mother should have such royal treatment.
I took a quick flight with a sweet friend, enjoying the company and conversation and oatmeal from Starbucks. There were fourteen guests total. They came from all over the U.S. and some were delayed from the snowstorms. But everyone eventually made it.
I slept in a large room decorated with flowers, beautiful pictures, tapestries and images of people in yogic positions. I made freshly squeezed tangerine juice from huge fruits picked from a tree on this ten acre property. We had enough juice for days. I snacked on chocolates. I strolled on the paths, visiting the gorgeous botanical gardens I have watched develop over the years. I was fed various Indian delicacies made by a woman who delights in cooking for people. We took a walk on the beach with the dog and we met a famous actress. I meditated daily, and at night we hosted programs with inspiring talks and music. I tended the bookstore for those two nights, where we sold items and collected money to be sent to worldwide charities. All in all a good four days.
Then we flew home, and another five people joined the group, including a second swami. They were hosted by our neighbor, we sent extra sheets, pillows, blankets. We had two more inspirational programs, including an all day retreat where the kids got to spend time talking to one of the swamis. We also got together for beach time, meals, and even a whale watch. The kids played water football with some of the grownups, and everyone was young again. Then an older gentleman insisted on taking everyone out for ice cream. Such a sweet group -- interesting, intelligent, caring people. The kids were asked to sing one evening, the night we went to say goodbye. They sang a song I love -- Hold My Hand, by Michael Jackson. They sang it in harmony. They have sang this song many times over the last couple of years and had tired of it. They had asked us not to ask them to sing it for people anymore. But when this group of loving adults asked if they would sing, this is what they wanted to do.
A biryani is an Indian rice dish. The one pictured had potatoes and cauliflower in the rice and was topped with cashews, raisins, spices, onions. It was made for us, as a farewell gift by the smiling swami, a special person that we all love so.


2 comments:
So happy you are able to charge your spiritual batteries in this way. Yes, the rice looks delicious! Yum! I am missing my rice and chicken curry for breakfast every morning that I had in China.
i love how you wrap up this post, and how beginning and end join in a circle.
Post a Comment