Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

May 10, 2013

time for a new song over here...

Somehow many of the songs Gary wrote for his new album remind me of our time in Italy, the Cinque Terre region.

This is a song that is close to Gary's heart.

In Papa Maestro's words, "The song 'Bells from Town' is an autobiography that never happened. I imagined one night what might have been if I'd have made other decisions in my life -- basically choosing touring my songs over starting a family. And I saw in a dream an aging washed-up ex-rock 'n roll star living in a big house by himself on a hill overlooking his home town. No one wants him to tour on the big stage anymore. He gave up the girl he loved to chase after that dream, chasing after an image of himself -- a modern Narcissus. And he is left standing at his gate, looking a little thin, hearing the bells from town, and wondering. . . . .

When it was time for the great lead guitarist, Tom Finch, to record his solo I told him the story about this guy and said, 'Tom, be him. He was a great player in his day, but he's done. It's over. And he's angry. He's not ready to stop. He's screaming through this one final great solo of his, that no one's ever going to hear. He's screaming about the loneliness, and the entire waste of a life! Play that!'

Fortunately, Tom Finch is not one to be intimidated. He's the real deal. And this solo proves it. I can listen to it over and over, and I feel this guy standing by his gate, screaming into the wind."

No comments: