Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

January 6, 2010

sharing food, local style


I have a friend who is married to the local country doctor who works on the mountain.  He heals on many levels.  The first time I went to see him, years ago, very homesick for family and friends, he examined me, then after our appointment he took me into his kitchen and gave me some homemade chicken soup to take home and eat.  This was the best soup I ever had, and probably more helpful than any remedies I was given.  My kids love going to him.  He always lets them pick a polished colored rock from his basket.  I was recently up to see him and my friend took me into her home.  Sometimes this doctor is paid in food.  He also has a fair amount of fruit trees growing on his property and my kids love going to pick and eat the fruits.   We always seem to leave with a bag of something.  I wonder, who is paying whom?

5 comments:

Francesca said...

That would be my kind of doctor, one who can see beyond our body. He fed you healing soup when you were feeling empty. What a beautiful story (and some very interesting fruits there!)

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

What treasures:
The doctor, the fruits, the confidence in the healing power of "care." You guys are lucky.
Happy New Year.

liza said...

I love this post - the photos and the words. Thank you!

Skylar said...

I love food! Especially his food!

Anonymous said...

What a great reminder of how the spirit feeds the body. Your photographs are lovely.

Mellie