Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

June 7, 2008

time for a trip

photo by Skylar Marks

It's half past midnight and I am finished packing! It was a big job with the new airline rule of no bag over 50 lbs., yet only one checked bag per person. It was a funny sight, me weighing each bag by lifting them, getting my combined weight on the scale, and then subtracting this from my actual weight. Fifty lbs. is heavy! My heaviest bag is 45 lbs. I am proud to say. We might rent our house while we are gone so I had to clear out all closets, etc. It was quite a job!

The kids had a half day at school today. It was a whirlwind day. First of all it was pajama day at Annabel's school, which for her meant one less thing she had to do on her morning routine -- yeehaw. She was so cute and excited in her little white pajamas with hearts and flowers, and I wonder how long this innocence will last. Sky is far too grown up for this. She's eleven after all.

After I dropped the kids off I went into town to get another large suitcase, shopped for some clothing for me (found some cute stuff!), had a quick smoothie, picked up laundry soap, then picked up the kids and wished all of our friends and the teachers a happy summer. Sky and Annabel went to friends' houses after school and Annabel got a bag of treats from her teachers in front of Shawn. He was pretty bummed. They shared with him, but he still wanted his own. We went to Jamba Juice, our favorite place and got smoothies, and then he was happy. He watched a movie at home and I packed all day long. I took a break to swim in the pool with him (we each pushed each other in with our clothes on) and then we played the octopus game (his invention) where I was the octopus and he was the kid and I was trying to get him, except he never left base, so I never could get him. Then I became the kid and he was the octopus and he got me right away and began taking bites out of me. But he pretended that I tasted yucky so I was saved. This was the highlight of the day.

Thankfully friends transported the girls home and I made a nice dinner, we ate together as a family. Everyone was bathed and the girls played music after dinner, and Shawn drummed. Sky is teaching him to drum to her songs. He is getting quite good, and actually taking direction. We will miss the musical freedom we have with this house and all of our instruments, although the girls will brings guitars and all three kids will bring harmonicas. Can't bring the drum set.

I am tired, but very excited for this adventure. I love California.

No comments: