Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

December 19, 2015

we're back home


After over five months away we're back home for two weeks.

Our house is so pretty.  You forget these things sometimes, or take them for granted I suppose.   But when you return home after this long, you see things with fresh eyes.

I love how much green and turquoise there is in my house, a color I have liked for years.  These colors are in the painted wood furniture, the pillows on the brown couch, the metal bed frame Gary and I picked out right after we were married, a ceramic lamp that hangs over our kitchen table.  I love our original paintings - mostly brightly colored abstract pieces that adorn many rooms.

It's funny that we get attached to things, but I've missed my things, -- our silverware, the sheets, the French style chairs I picked up at a thrift shop, our bamboo and travertine bathroom.

I think the house is happy we are back.

Our tangerine tree is giving fruit, sweet like candy.
My tulsi plants are enormous.  I still haven't checked the banana trees, today I am mostly unpacking, running on little sleep.

I sat to meditate tonight in my little corner, encouraged by the mere fact that in this house I have done most of my meditations, it is where I began the regular practice, and so it feels natural to re-enter my practice after a long dry spell.

Then I realized something:
Traveling is how you grow.
But home is where you remember who you are.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Have a beautiful Holiday week.

Elizabeth said...

So beautiful! Welcome home, and thank you for taking us in to share it with you.