Our family life in the tropics. Lots of music, art, gardening, cooking, traveling, ponderings, and joy. Creating memories, traditions
and hopefully some humor. Trying to give back as well.

October 18, 2014

the amma kendama project lives

This was in June.  I am behind in blogging about our summer travels.  I know it's October now but we had a crazy autumn.  We almost moved, but we didn't.  Since August I have taken two trips and am planning a third.  Plus we have been actively helping Sky with her many college applications.  Life is just busy in general.  Still I love to tell our story, so I will attempt to accomplish a review of our summer before the year is over.  We shall see how I do.

In June I took Shawn and Annabel to LA and we saw Amma.  Gary came a few days later with Sky after she took her SATs.  Shawn and I had shipped a bunch of kendamas to the LA hotel we were staying at.  We had raised money from our supersonic bake sale back in May.  We purchased the kendamas wholesale, so we made a good profit.  We brought the toys up to Amma and then afterwards were given permission to sell them.  The hall was so crowded with bookstore items and tables displaying all of the charitable work that we took a space in the hallway.  That was fine as it gave the kids room to play nearby.

We sold about twenty kendamas total.  We made $400 just from those.  We donated the rest to the staff to sell at their leisure.  It was hard work and Shawn and his friends spent a lot of time manning our "booth" that we fashioned out of the large cardboard box that the kendamas had been shipped in. He also played in the hotel pool with some of his friends.  After all, a boy needs balance.

When I came home in late July two of my five banana trees had fruit growing.  The bananas are just beginning to ripen now.  Are we in for another round of baking?  Not sure.  I might enlist one of the neighborhood kids to help my boy.  My focus this year is helping Sky with college applications and applying for scholarships.  It's pretty much a full time job, with all of my other family duties.

Speaking of full time jobs, I am trying to figure out what I want to be when I "grow up."  My background is in mental health.  Not sure where life is going to take me, but right now my focus is still the family.  Meanwhile I am finding inspiration in neuropsycholgical research on mindfulness and meditation.  There is a lot to learn in Ted talks and YouTube videos of taped talks of super smart people.  And I am looking into becoming a meditation teacher.  Life will unfold, all in good time.

2 comments:

likeschocolate said...

I can't imagine how much work the application are! Harris is going to apply to about 6 schools in two years. His first choice is Standford, but not sure he will make it!

Elizabeth said...

It's good to catch up with your beautiful family life, Teresa! You sound as busy as ever. I'm intrigued that you're thinking about going into work as a meditation teacher. I credit mindfulness meditation with "saving" me from insanity, to tell you the truth. We have the incredible Insight LA organization here that brings so many of the best teachers and speakers in the field. I wish you could visit sometime and we could go together!