This past summer we took the kids to Europe and visited Italy and France. The above photograph was in Colle di Val d'Elsa. We had taken the kids down a large glass elevator "lift" and walked through an ancient rock tunnel, damp and dark and a little foreboding, which opened out to a small happy town. We walked a few blocks until we came to a town square where there was a festival. We ate a very nice leisurely dinner in a quiet restaurant. Then we wandered over to the town square. Night had fallen, and it was alive. Annabel was thrilled to hear amplified music, as she ran to the stage to inspect the players. People were selling food, electronics, treats, jewelry, household goods. I bought a smoky glass perfume bottle and two colorful scarves that will some day be used as curtains to cover up a small window. Both of the girls picked out watch necklaces - Annabel picked a guitar and Sky picked an old fashioned pocket watch design. Shawn was happy to get cotton candy, white in color.
After we were finished with our evening we were walking back to our hotel. On the street we saw an artist showing a video of color and imagery projected onto a building side.
And I thought then, and I am thinking now, sometimes we see the light, but only after some darkness. The light is always there, but it's the darkness that allows us to see it so beautifully.

7 comments:
Light can be Art ;)
It's good to keep memories of a sweet summer evening. I like this light projection on the wall...
I second O's beautiful comment.
Sounds like a very fun evening!
Thanks for giving details of the trip, it sounds splenind. I one day hope to be a frequent traveler with my tribe. Have a great weekend.
looks like you've had a great time visiting Europe! The night can be just as alive as daytime!
lovely, aye fond memory and darkness to remind us of that. great cycle... n♥
Post a Comment