Shawn is a baby, Annabel is just five years old,
Sky is seven. A lifetime ago.
Today Shawn is nine, going on ten, Annabel is fourteen, Sky is sixteen. Daddy took them to the movies and shopping while I stayed home nursing a head cold. I did manage to make a pot of soup, clean the upstairs of the house, and dust the piano, but I also took some time to rest and make a collage, which was really fun. I love to cut out phrases and words that inspire me, as well as images. To me it's kind of lazy man's art, and yet it is as satisfying as a day of painting. The two younger ones went to a movie by themselves while Dad walked around the mall with Sky, finally buying her skinny jeans and a tee shirt at Pac Sun, which is a very cool store in case you didn't know.
After some time they all came home and Dad took a break. Annabel and Shawn played Sumdog, which is a math video game that I occasionally allow, despite the video game ban that we have continued, and our kids are no worse for the wear from. I helped Sky clean and organize her room, something she enjoys doing, but only with me. On the floor I found a piece of paper, in Gary's handwriting titled, "Songs Sky is Going to Write." It had fallen from her folder of songs. Years ago in 2003, when Sky was seven and beginning to write songs, she dictated her future song titles to her dad, who wrote them down for her in her song book:
Sailboat Sail
There's Nothing Better than Hearing a Skylark Sing
Song of the Beauty
7 is my Favorite Number
My Daddy is the Best
Now Annabel is taking a walk and the redheads are playing tennis in the driveway, because I told them they needed to go outside and get some fresh air. Time to check the soup.
3 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful day. It helps to have the house to ourselves once in awhile.
Cute photo---they grow up so quickly!
Hope your head cold clears up soon!
I can't believe how much you got done despite being sick. When I get a cold and that isn't often I don't want to do anything. You have such a beautiful family. I love that your husband had no problem going shopping with his daughter. Yeah for Gary!
what a nice post, i love reading about daily life!
Post a Comment